How Do You Stack?

Decorating By kakedreamer1212 Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 7:03am by tonedna

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 7:30am
post #1 of 19

I'm just curious if theres a better way to stack one cake on top of another when your stacking. I hold the teir I'm adding with my hands as close to the top of the bottom cake as possible and then just let it drop but this tends to really mess the buttercream up around the base (finger tip marks) and sometimes can be hard to repair once stacked. Most of it is covered with a border but sometimes can still be seen (by me anyway). Is this the way most do it or is there a better way?

18 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 8:12am
post #2 of 19

There's a trick for it. Only insert your dowels halfway into the cake. Then set the next tier on. The weight of the tier will lower the dowels into the cake below, but give you time to get your hands out from underneath.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 19

Yeah, dropping a cake does have it's disadvantages! icon_lol.gif

I use my icing spatula. With the spatula under the cake, place the cake in place; lower the cake with my hands until there's no hand-space left, then let the spatula do the work.
LL
LL

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 19

and that's why we love indydebi!!!!!!!! icon_wink.gif

Spices5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spices5 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 19

I just watched the DVD from Sharon Zambito and I loved her way of stacking but I have only one problem don't know where I am going to find bubble straw here in Holland lol

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 19

I order my online @ w w w (dot) t e n t e a (dot) c o m

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 19

I use the bubble tea straws and leave them up about an inch or so - set the next tier on there, and gravity takes it down just fine.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 19

Here is a video tutorial on stacking.

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Spices5 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Ohh Edna, I have watched that video about 100 times really love the music lol, makes me want to workout
But here we don't have any carboard dowels eithere and to order them from the US will not make may cake any cheaper because just for postal handeling I have paid up to $60 icon_cry.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 19

WOAH! I'm sorry shipping is so high for you Spices5. Is there anyone you know stateside who can ship them, or will the shipping still cost the same? I'm just thinking U.S.P.S. can be cheaper then Fed-Ex or UPS.

Spices5 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 19

I now the shipping cost from the US to The Netherlands is just killing me, my sisters and step mom lives in the US but even when they send me certain items they have to pay quite a bit for shipping and they always use U.S.P.S

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 19

Hummmmm...... Lots of good tips here. Can't wait to try them out. Thank you indydebi for the pics. I was trying to picture how you did that just before I scrolled down and saw the pics. I'm not familiar with tea straws but will def. be checking it out. Thank you all for your advice.

tonedna Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 6:45pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spices5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Ohh Edna, I have watched that video about 100 times really love the music lol, makes me want to workout
But here we don't have any carboard dowels eithere and to order them from the US will not make may cake any cheaper because just for postal handeling I have paid up to $60 icon_cry.gif

You dont need to use the cardboards..you can use plastic or wood and even PVC! You just need something else to cut other than a knife.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sjc0858 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjc0858 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:47pm
post #14 of 19

Hello all
and Hi Edna! I am a huge fan of yours. You do amazing work and do a wonderful job teaching. Thank you for taking the time to do what you do.icon_smile.gif

I will be making a simple 3 tier cake for my sisters shower in 2 weeks. I am very new at this so I need a little help. There will be one 10'. one 8' and one 6' and I mean one of each...no doubling up on the sizes. SO, my question is how many dowels should I use for this size. Will one thru the center do the trick or should I dowel the 10 and 8 also? So confused. I have never made a stack cake before. Also, just made a cake topper for this cake yesterday out of gumpaste and it has hardened pretty well. Should I now store it in an airtight container or a ziploc bag?

Thanks! any advice is appreciated.
Shannon

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:25pm
post #15 of 19

Each tier needs to be supported. You can center dowel if you are transporting stacked.
And, do you mean, each tier is only about 2 inches tall?

sjc0858 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:04am
post #16 of 19

Jamie,
Thank you. So, I would only need to put a center dowel thru them all if I am transporting it that way? Well, that makes sense.lol
Yes, the tiers will only be 2' tall.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:06am
post #17 of 19

You got it!

sjc0858 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:11am
post #18 of 19

Thanks again icon_smile.gif
BTW, sorry Kakedreamer for using your thread!lol

tonedna Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:03am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc0858

Hello all
and Hi Edna! I am a huge fan of yours. You do amazing work and do a wonderful job teaching. Thank you for taking the time to do what you do.icon_smile.gif

I will be making a simple 3 tier cake for my sisters shower in 2 weeks. I am very new at this so I need a little help. There will be one 10'. one 8' and one 6' and I mean one of each...no doubling up on the sizes. SO, my question is how many dowels should I use for this size. Will one thru the center do the trick or should I dowel the 10 and 8 also? So confused. I have never made a stack cake before. Also, just made a cake topper for this cake yesterday out of gumpaste and it has hardened pretty well. Should I now store it in an airtight container or a ziploc bag?

Thanks! any advice is appreciated.
Shannon

I put my dowels basically around 2 inches in separation. Usually around seven.

Thanks for the complements!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%