One Wine Glass Separator= How?- Dec 5Th Cake

Decorating By diamondsonblackvelvet13 Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 1:43pm by diamondsonblackvelvet13

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 5:50am
post #1 of 12

I need to make the attached cake. I want ONE wine glass as the separator. I know it is possible but how?

I was thinking that I could use an acrylic wine glass, fill it to make it solid with more acrylic, add a sharpened acrylic rod so that I could in effect use the wineglass a s a dowel.

Questions remaining:
Will the top two tiers sit safely on the top of that if glued? (ie cake plate to the bottom of the glass)

Is it possible to still incorporate the light in the glass?

Will a wide mouth wine glass be ok sitting directly on the bottom cake or should I use a cake plate type of rig and then hide the cake plate?

Any and all ideas appreciated. Thanks!
LL
LL

11 replies
nicholle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicholle Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 6:49am
post #2 of 12

Could you use a big wine glass? Like the ones they sell at michaels? Put the supported cake plate under the fondant on the second tier? then use the glass as your support for the third tier with the cake plate upside down?

tw1nkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tw1nkle Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 6:55am
post #3 of 12

I don't know if it's any help but I used a glass candle holder as a support (see the black and white cake in my photos) used a small fondant covered board under it, with dowels in the cake below to support the weight.

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 7:44am
post #4 of 12

Not really about the cake but more about the candle. It wont stay lit if it cant get any air.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 8:08am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakedreamer1212

Not really about the cake but more about the candle. It wont stay lit if it cant get any air.

You could use one of those LED tealights...kakedreamer's totally right about the flame needing air.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

You could use one of those LED tealights...kakedreamer's totally right about the flame needing air.

Not to mention the soot if you did have a lit candle! icon_wink.gif

I don't have any ideas for you, but I can't wait to see the finished product! It will be gorgeous.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakedreamer1212

It's going to be a LED tea light not a real one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholle

Could you use a big wine glass? Like the ones they sell at michaels? Put the supported cake plate under the fondant on the second tier? then use the glass as your support for the third tier with the cake plate upside down?

That's kinda what I want to do but since it is only one glass I am worried about it tipping over. That's why I want to add the dowel into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1nkle

I don't know if it's any help but I used a glass candle holder as a support (see the black and white cake in my photos) used a small fondant covered board under it, with dowels in the cake below to support the weight.

Did you/ would you have put the cake plate on the cake itself THEN covered with fondant or just under the candle holder? The cake will carved into a wave of sorts, like this one here: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1267933

I found this one here by hammer1 but they haven't posted anything since October so I am not sure they are even still on to ask. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1250177

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:37pm
post #8 of 12

Need more ideas... Hello out there in Cake Central land!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:07am
post #9 of 12

I got it done! This was very challenging. I am out of practice on my fondant work.
LL

margi24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margi24 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:48am
post #10 of 12

i love this wine glass separator idea, how did u go about your support in the end? is the rim of the glass on dowels?

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:16am
post #11 of 12

Can you glue the glass to the bottom board of the cake on top. Maybe some epoxy glue to give it some stability.

Also what program did you use to do that drawing, it is awesome!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:43pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

margi24
i love this wine glass separator idea, how did u go about your support in the end? is the rim of the glass on dowels?

Margi24,
The bottom tier has the standard dowels in it topped with a separator plate. The next tier has an 8" plate and dowels in it. I cut away come of the cake to enable the plate to sit flush with the top of the cake. Then I covered it with fondant, plate in place.

The glass itself is plastic. I did add some hot glue to the bottom of the glass but didn't stick the top tier to it. I just added it to give it more traction...KWIM?

The biggest issue I ran into was making CERTAIN that everything was level! Check, check, and double check.

Quote:
Quote:

mindy1204
Also what program did you use to do that drawing, it is awesome!

I just used Microsoft paint. took a while to get it done but it help me to visualize it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%