How Do I Stop My Fondant From Drying Out

Decorating By bensmama18 Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 4:36pm by tatorchip

bensmama18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bensmama18 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 9

icon_cry.gif Whenever I add color- it seems to dry out- but if i add water it gets sticky then i add powered sugar and then it starts all over! Please help!! i end up leaving it a little white because I ma afraid of it drying out icon_cry.gif

8 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 12:00am
post #2 of 9

Do you use liquid or powder color?

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:34am
post #3 of 9

Are you making regular fondant or marshmallow fondant? What is the recipe? Knowing this might help distinguish an answer to the problem.

bensmama18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bensmama18 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 12:19am
post #4 of 9

i am using liquid and it is the already made fondant becasue when i make the mashmellow fondant it comes out too shinny thumbsdown.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 1:08am
post #5 of 9

You need to use gel colors.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:27am
post #6 of 9

I personally find that chocolate fondant takes time to dry out--which I personally think is great on cakes so it doesn't get all crusty.

letstalkcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letstalkcake Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 11:34am
post #7 of 9

Instead of adding water or powdered sugar add just a little cooking oil. It doesn't get too shinny and works great.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 9

I'm with Rylan, chocolate fondant all the way! You need to find an easy, tasty fondant that performs well for you. They are out there icon_smile.gif

Chocolate fondant gives you a much longer work time. I went back and used the diamond quilter on a cake that I had covered over an hour ago and I got no cracks.....

Jen icon_smile.gif

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

I'm with Rylan, chocolate fondant all the way! You need to find an easy, tasty fondant that performs well for you. They are out there icon_smile.gif

Chocolate fondant gives you a much longer work time. I went back and used the diamond quilter on a cake that I had covered over an hour ago and I got no cracks.....

Jen icon_smile.gif

I also agree and the best one that I have used was on this DVD

http://www.jenniferdontz.com/viewproduct.php?itemid=dvd001

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%