Irish Wedding Cake - Shamrock/clover Sizes??

Decorating By Spills Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 8:31am by Spills

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 7

I've recieved a request for an Irish wedding cake and the customer has given me the attached drawing (which is brilliant I might add - now I know exactly what they're looking for).

It will be covered in fondant, but my main concern at this moment is the different sizes of shamrocks/clover (at least 3 sizes). I'm going to most likely use the 3" shamrock cookie cutter for the largest one there, but the others I have not be able to find anything that I would be able to use.

Any insight from you is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for your help if you're able to provide it icon_wink.gif
LL

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 7

I've done a couple of shamrock cakes that might give you some ideas.

This one was made using a shamrock mint mold and green colored chocolate (about 3/4" to 1" .... can't recall the exact size right now). I just glued the candies onto the sides of the cake with a blop of BC on the backside: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1179060

This one, I used a tiny cookie cutter (about 1" to 1.5" across) to cut out the fondant shapes on the sides: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1330427

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 7

If you have any heart shaped cutters of various sizes, you could try those to make your shamrocks. Just a thought. icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 7

I'd recommend the dogwood cutter and just cut the stem from the fourth petal. Either buy the graduated set or if you only have one dogwood cutter --roll the fondant different thicknesses to cut the shamrocks then re-roll the cut out shamrock to make them different sizes. The thicker fondant will make a bigger shamrock if you re-roll it after it's cut into the shamrock shape.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 1:16am
post #5 of 7

I'd pipe them out with RI or chocolate. Then, they can be any size. Larger ones may have to be dried over a curved surface.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 7

I pipe shamrocks with a rose tip and royal icing. Just pipe like you are making a primrose but do only 3 petals and add a stem, dry over forms for movement.

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 8:31am
post #7 of 7

Well, thanks to all that replied, I think I would have gone with searching for one smaller cookie cutter and had gone with just two sizes; BUT unfortunately, I just had the order turned down because apparently my price was too high for them.
$650 for a three tiered (6, 10, 14"), fondant covered cake doesn't seem too unreasonable to me...PLUS it is being held in my home town which is five hours from my current residence, and I wasn't going to charge them for the trip...

Sorry...just a little bitter - more reasons why I remember I dislike that place I left many years ago... icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%