Does Anyone Use Amish Roll Butter?

Baking By PattyT Updated 26 Nov 2009 , 4:08pm by PattyT

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 3

I just saw it at the Amish market near me and bought a pound. Is it like a European-style butter?? Thought it might make a kick-a__ swiss meringue buttercream. Or is it more for cooking, finishing, sauces etc.?

Before I blow the whole pound on SMBC, has anyone else used it?

Thanks everyone.
Pat

2 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 3

Was it churned on their farm? I know that farm-churned butter is normally whiter and sweeter than store-bought sweet butter. I'd love to know the name and location of the Amish store where you got it. I'm not afraid to drive a while to get a quality product at a great price.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Was it churned on their farm? I know that farm-churned butter is normally whiter and sweeter than store-bought sweet butter. I'd love to know the name and location of the Amish store where you got it. I'm not afraid to drive a while to get a quality product at a great price.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I just checked the label and it comes from the Minnerva Dairy, in Minnerva Ohio. The market I go to is near me is in South Jersey (across from Philly). I think they come from the Lancaster, PA area. My piece looks like it was sliced from a larger roll, so they must buy in bulk from the Minnerva Dairy, cut it up and sell it here.

Here's an online link I found describing it. http://www.minervacheese.com/p-46-amish-style-roll-butter.aspx

I haven't tried it for my SMBC yet. I have a couple of days off work coming up, so may experiment. If I like it, I may check out the Amish section at Reading Terminal Market in Philly - they may churn their own.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%