Sparkly Cake Finish

Decorating By Motta Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 10:30pm by fearlessbaker

Motta  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 6

I've seen some cakes where the fondant has a shimmer or sparkle to it. It's subtle and so polished-looking. How does one do that??

5 replies
 Colliegirl  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 2:08am
post #2 of 6

Hi, I use PME Edible Lustre Spray and I love it. (be careful though as it comes out quickly) Would love to do all cakes with it, but I have to control myself.

You could also use lustre powders (you can control the amount you want to use and the effect) these are available at most cake decorating supplies. I get the pearl colour, which then is able to be used on whatever colour your base is. Though there are other colours available.

Good luck.

rainbow_kisses  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 6

I also use luster spray or pearl dust. with the dust I dip a large powder brush in and swirl the brush as if I was using forensic powder that way it does not get too thick in parts (hope that make sence to you)

Kiddiekakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 6

Using an airbrush with pearl spray gives the same effect as lustre spray but cheaper.The PME lustre spray is about $14.00 a can and smells like heaven! I think Cake Mischief and Flour Confections sells it online.

Colliegirl  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 6

Scrummymummy who has been watching CSI eh? icon_lol.gif

I have looked at the airbrush system and I really like it, but will have to wait till I get a bit more $$$ before I can branch out on that one, but that is a good idea. Tks.

fearlessbaker  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 6

Do you only use the sprays on fondant covered cakes? Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%