Sparkly Cake Finish

Decorating By Motta Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 10:30pm by fearlessbaker

Motta Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 6

I've seen some cakes where the fondant has a shimmer or sparkle to it. It's subtle and so polished-looking. How does one do that??

5 replies
Colliegirl Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 2:08am
post #2 of 6

Hi, I use PME Edible Lustre Spray and I love it. (be careful though as it comes out quickly) Would love to do all cakes with it, but I have to control myself.

You could also use lustre powders (you can control the amount you want to use and the effect) these are available at most cake decorating supplies. I get the pearl colour, which then is able to be used on whatever colour your base is. Though there are other colours available.

Good luck.

rainbow_kisses Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 6

I also use luster spray or pearl dust. with the dust I dip a large powder brush in and swirl the brush as if I was using forensic powder that way it does not get too thick in parts (hope that make sence to you)

Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 6

Using an airbrush with pearl spray gives the same effect as lustre spray but cheaper.The PME lustre spray is about $14.00 a can and smells like heaven! I think Cake Mischief and Flour Confections sells it online.

Colliegirl Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 6

Scrummymummy who has been watching CSI eh? icon_lol.gif

I have looked at the airbrush system and I really like it, but will have to wait till I get a bit more $$$ before I can branch out on that one, but that is a good idea. Tks.

fearlessbaker Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 6

Do you only use the sprays on fondant covered cakes? Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%