Sps Question Regardind A Fondant Tiered Cake

Decorating By KristyCakes Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 9:05pm by lecrn

KristyCakes Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 32

I just got my SPS system and I, too, have the nervous jitters!!! My question is this... I'm making a 5", 8", 11", 14. I've baked and filled the cakes (overnight). I'm about to fondant cover the cakes now. My question is should I cover in fondant and let the cakes settle again after the fondant is on before setting up the SPS tonight? Or should I be adding the SPS and stacking right after covering when the fondant is relatively soft? I never refrigerate/freeze for any of the steps - room temperature entirely. The cake is for a delivery tomorrow afternoon and I'm thinking of transporting as a 3tier and add the 4th after arrival. Yikes! Thanks so much!

31 replies
cylstrial Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 32

Start adding the SPS immediately after you fondant the cakes. Because if you try to lift the cakes later, the bottom edge of the cake where you lift it is going to rip and stick out a little bit. I learned that lesson the first time. I stack right after I put the fondant on.

AfordRN Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 32

Stack all 4 tiers, really! The sps is awesome and works everytime. I love being able to leave the house with a cake and just bring an emergency fix kit.

KristyCakes Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 32

Thank you Cylstrial! I had everything out waiting when you wrote. It's all stacked now...

AfordRN... I so want to!!! When I attached the pillars to the base plates I was hoping to hear some sort of clicking sound. Nope! And I guess I pushed a little too hard on one of them and heard a cracking sound. No visible cracks and cake is still standing, so I think that's ok. My first attempt I put the cake onto the SPS base and of course had a hard time lining it up with the pre-punched hole. I think it just poked through my cardboard in a different location. I was able to lift it and re-position, but really am not sure that it's in my pre-punched hole... These 1st time issues sure to be worked out over time but I've got faith it will work, just a ball of nerves!!!

KristyCakes Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 32

Oh, well! Just realized I can't stack the 4th tier anyway... It's a 5" and they don't make that size SPS plate. Ahh, next time!

chouxchoux Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 32

kristy...let us know how it went...i'm using my first sps next on a 4 tier and am scared to death!

AfordRN Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 32

My biggest problem with the SPS is getting the cakes just the right height. Thank goodness my husband has a chop saw out in the shop, because I have to cut off the legs everytime.

chouxchoux Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 32

i'm going to have to have them cut too. does he have any problems cutting them?

AfordRN Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 32

He??? Ha like my husband would be that helpful! No, the chop saw whizzes right thru them. You could use a hack saw, but that would take longer. I line up all 4 of them and zip them off all at once. Keeps them even that way.

LisaR64 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 32

Has anyone had problems with the SPS plate being too big? My cakes must shrink during baking because I baked a 10" round, crumb coated & covered it in fondant, but when I put it on the 10" SPS plate, there was 1/8" or so of the SPS plate showing all around. Should I be using a smaller SPS plate?

chouxchoux Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 9:35pm
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfordRN

He??? Ha like my husband would be that helpful! No, the chop saw whizzes right thru them. You could use a hack saw, but that would take longer. I line up all 4 of them and zip them off all at once. Keeps them even that way.

lol...i'm sorry! i'm MAKING my husband do it. but he's been helpful since he retired.

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:16pm
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR64

Has anyone had problems with the SPS plate being too big? My cakes must shrink during baking because I baked a 10" round, crumb coated & covered it in fondant, but when I put it on the 10" SPS plate, there was 1/8" or so of the SPS plate showing all around. Should I be using a smaller SPS plate?

Start using foam core. Turn the SPS plate over, so the peg pokes into the foam core. Trace around the SPS plate, and cut your cake circle. Bingo! Perfect plate everytime....and now your hole is perfectly punched and centered. This really needs to be added to Leahs instructions, don't know if anyone else knows to do this, but it's pretty dang handy.

KristyCakes Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:06pm
post #13 of 32

Well, it's done. I am now a huge SPS fan!!! ChouxChoux - I feel your pain! As a first time user, I say go for it - you'll love it. If I have a 4-tier again with a 6" top, I'll stack it all at home and drive it to the venue. I didn't have white knuckles driving like I do with dowels - mostly because of all the praise I've read here. I do find that my cakes shrink as well LisaR64. I did have a little of the plate overhang at the base of one of the tiers, but my pearl border hid it. Here's the cake. Unfortunately, it had to be set on the bar so not the nicest of backgrounds - but oh well - it made it there in one piece!
LL

chouxchoux Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:19pm
post #14 of 32

kristy... it is just beautiful...what are your tier sizes? mine are 16, 12, 9, 6.

KristyCakes Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:27pm
post #15 of 32

Thanks chouxchoux. My cake was 5", 8", 11", 14". I had to put the 5" on after I arrived since SPS doesn't have a 5" plate. I just used dowels in the 8" to hold that one up. If you can lift such a large cake, I would go ahead and stack it at home - I don't think you'd have any problems. Good luck!

Uniqueask Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:30pm
post #16 of 32

Your cake is very beautiful.

chouxchoux Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:32pm
post #17 of 32

kristy...was your very heavy? i plan to have 2 big guys to move it for me...(fingers crossed). i hope they don't back out at the last minute!!!

KristyCakes Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:37pm
post #18 of 32

Not bad at all. I moved it with a guy from the restaurant. And, I haven't used many of the wooden cake boards (1/2") so was a little afraid that it wouldn't support such a big cake so put it on a larger piece of plywood to transport. (With no-slip mat in between!).

chouxchoux Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:41pm
post #19 of 32

that is a great idea. i have 2 cake drums, 18 and 20 inches. i'm double boarding it, but i think i'll use your idea of the wood board for transport. thanks kristy..i'm feeling better about it.

aej6 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:36am
post #20 of 32

That is gorgeous!! (and huge!) Beautiful job!!

AfordRN Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:02am
post #21 of 32

What did you make your pearl border out of? I have a 4 tier wedding cake this week, and was going to make pearls with pearl clay (Jen Dontz recipe). Is your royal?

chouxchoux Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:17am
post #22 of 32

jamie...i don't understand about the foam core, but i want to understand how to do it...do you have pictures?

__Jamie__ Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:44am
post #23 of 32

The thinner pieces of foam core from the hobby shop is what I use. Take whichever SPS plate you need, put it on your foam core, with the sharp point down, so it pierces the foam core. This serves two purposes, 1-holds your plate in place while you trace your circle (the SPS plate), and 2-you without out a doubt have the hole poked in exactly the right place now. Cut your circle out, flip it over (so the hole is on the bottom now), cover in Glad Press and Seal, and bam! You have the perfect circle for using the SPS with. You literally cannot ever have a problem with your cake being too small once you transfer it to the SPS plate. It's impossible. If you are icing your cake properly, it's always always always going to be exactly the size of the SPS plate. Slightly larger when covering with fondant. A good thing anyways.

chouxchoux Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:56am
post #24 of 32

jamie--first, thank you so much for explaining this to me...i'm so embarrassesd to ask, icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif is this in place of the cardboard cake circles? i't sounds like this is what you are saying, i'm just slow understanding i guess. thank you SO much for taking the time icon_redface.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:01am
post #25 of 32

Oh heck yeah...cardboard circles? Patooey. I like the sturdy no bend quality of foam core. You can get it in varying thicknesses, cut the thin stuff with an exacto, the thicker stuff with a box cutter or hot knife. Great stuff!

chouxchoux Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:09am
post #26 of 32

whew!!! i am so glad! what a great idea. i'm making a 16 inch bottom tier for the first time and was going to use regular wilton cake boards. thank you, thank you. it is so simple yet so smart. how come i haven't heard of this before? again, thanks for your expertise and your time thumbs_up.gif phyllis

cakesbyk2 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:11am
post #27 of 32

Wondering about the SPS for Square cakes. I have a cake due in December and will be using the large balls to separate the 4 tier cake and would like to know if there are only round sps plates or where can I get square ones to fit the right size. I didn't see any at Michael's...Plz help icon_confused.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:15am
post #28 of 32

SPS in not something you will find at Michael's or Joanns. A specialty cake decorating store is what you need, or you can order it from many different places. Google around, you can find some. I usually get them from the "place that shall not be named" aka as crafty purveyors of all things sugar, or www. su gar craft.c om. Spaces necessary as this site will block the name.

KristyCakes Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:08pm
post #29 of 32

AfornRN, for the pearl border I used the First Impressions 1/2 pearl mold. I saw Edna's video on Youtube and it looked easy to use. Edna's videos are priceless - if you haven't seen them - do!

lecrn Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:55pm
post #30 of 32

Thanks Jamie for your explanation! I'm sure that this will work for a square tiered cake as well. I'm going to be using the SPS in a few wks for the 1st time & I'm a nervous wreck.
Any tips on how to get the tiers to be exactly 4 inches tall? I don't have a Agbay (can't justify the cost right now).
This is probably a stupid question, but could you use the thicker foam core to give the illusion that the tiers were taller assuming that you had 4 inches of cake?
The cake should be 4 inches tall minus the cake circle, correct?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%