Black Icing

Decorating By April_Kelley Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 5:50pm by Mme_K

April_Kelley Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 5

I need to know how to make black icing without using an entire bottle of black coloring and getting that awful after taste(not to mention it never really turns true black,just some metalic color). Can someone please help me with this problem.....also the last time I tried to make it....because I had to use so much of the black color it also thinned out the icing....HELP!!! TIA!!! April

4 replies
peg818 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 5

start with chocolate icing, the darker the better, then add alittle black.

I do like to use black cocoa for this, as i will get a nice black color with very little gel color added.

tripleD Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 5

I started using air brush coloring black and a little gel coloring. then leave the icing set for a day. It gets a real dark black color. I make a batch let it get dark and freeze it in small amounts so I have a good black on hand.

April_Kelley Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 5

So if I just make my buttercream as usual and add some chocolate chips to make chocolate icing then add my black it should work?

Mme_K Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 5

I found this recipe here on CC:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/14838/chocolate-fudge-buttercream-icing-2

It even mentions making the black icing from it. I've never used this particular recipe, but it sounds similar to one that I use, and it is delicious.
HTH thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%