Anyone Made A Spider Mum?

Decorating By bethasd Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 2:14pm by all4cake

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 21

Has anyone made a spider mum out of gumpaste or fondant? I need to make just one showcase flower for a cake that's needs an autumn flower rather than a spring one. Any other suggestions?

20 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 21

No, but I've considered it and how I'd go about it.

I would roll the gp thin...either use circle cutters in several increment(1-4 inches) or the daisy/sunflower/gerber cutters...cut several of each size...keep them under plastic with a slightly damp towel on top...

Start by making a small, marble-sized ball and form onto a wire with a hook in it and hang to dry.

Taking one circle at a time, and a clay blade(long, single-edged blade), and make thin cuts around...carefully place on the thin foam(if using Wilton, that darker pink square)...using a skinny skewer, place point in toward center of circle and centered on one petal at a time, then roll it side to side(much like one would do for a daisy...have Glenda Galvez' "daisies my way" youtube tutorial in mind here)...if your skewer isn't smooth...great 'cause that'll provide a bit of veining...then, use the narrow, curved tool and apply pressure from the point of each petal toward center to give a bit of curl....center in formers and pierce center for wire(I would use at least 3 different sized formers possibly even 4)...allow them to dry a bit(still want them a bit moveable but dry enough to hold their general petal shape)...then, glue the sections together...

Attach the smaller petaled sections to the wired ball...adjusting petals for appearance...

attach additional sections with a bit of gum glue until desired fullness/look is acheived...add bits of wadded plastic wrap/tissue to aid in effect...hang to finish drying...

if planning to add the downward curving petals, allow those sections to dry completely and separately, then, invert and attach to underside of flower with gum glue...add calyx/sepal/receptacle/whateveryacallit to the underside of finished flower...

That's how I'd do it, if I ever made one...

I'll give it a try to see what happens...

bethasd Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 21

Wow! So detailed I can picture it in my head. I'm going to check out that video on youtube. If you do try it, please post a photo. Thanks for all your thoughtfulness!

all4cake Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 21

Alright. I'm going to work on it now. I'll be back with in progress pictures and, hopefully an end result. May take a while...bear with me.

all4cake Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:45am
post #5 of 21

They look more like cushion mums but I'll share what I did just the same...maybe you can adjust to get the look of a spider mum...

I'll start with tools used...
LL
LL
LL
LL

all4cake Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:55am
post #6 of 21

Steps taken (some images depict the technique used but on a size that may not follow sequence). I used the same techniques on all sizes...4 sizes of rounds for petals and one(the smallest) to cut rounds for centers.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

all4cake Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:59am
post #7 of 21

The finished flowers left to dry...
LL
LL
LL

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 5:20am
post #8 of 21

Wow, that is awesome!

all4cake Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 5:34am
post #9 of 21

Thank you! I hope it's helpful to someone...especially those that don't have an array of cutters at their disposal. I was going to do a wired one...well...it required more drying time and the last row of petals cause the entire thing to weigh off the hooked wire. I would do the first round of 3 petal sets onto the center that's been attached to the hooked wire and allow that to completely dry then, attach the other dried rounds of petal sets to it ...allowing the glue to dry completely in between.

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:20pm
post #10 of 21

OH wow. THANK YOU!!!

all4cake Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:30pm
post #11 of 21

You are so welcome!

I was able to thin and curl even the smallest of rounds' petals with the curved white tool(seriously, I know I know the name of those tools but for the life of me, I can't think of it...anyway, the white one in the picture above with the ball on one end and curved on the other).

mums5step3...I don't know if you're able to see...but you should be able to see the lines of the mat through the rolled paste(I did use a mixture of fondant and gumpaste)....thin for the petal circles.

Thick for the centers though

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 6:44pm
post #12 of 21

Wow! Those are a lot of work! But very pretty!

bethasd Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:58pm
post #13 of 21

Really amazing! If I can come close to pulling something like this off it'll be perfect but that's a really big IF. How long did it take? THANK YOU SO MUCH!

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:09am
post #14 of 21

Thank you so much for your wonderful instructions and pictures. Can someone tell me how to save a forum topic? I would like to refer back to this.

all4cake Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:12am
post #15 of 21

bethasd, I don't know how long exactly. From looking at the times on the postings, it took approx. 6 1/2 hours from the time I said I was going to do it to uploading the resized/cropped images. I did make coffee inbetween and went outside for at least one (I'm thinking there may have been two...)smoke break. I didn't sit there the whole time...then, the stopping to arrange things to take a picture...(batteries were dying in the camera so I was having to turn it on, take a shot, turn it off...to save juice...that's also why there isn't shots like of the rounds all cut out and resting under the vinyl sheets covered with the damp cloth and more clarifying shots. If I had to take a guess, I'd say two could be completed in an hour-hour and a half if working efficiently

MACakes, just by posting, you saved the thread. To find it...if you click on the Forums tab...then, on that screen, below the main tabs is a list of clickables...search, buddy list, ignore list, watched topics, memberlist,calendar....click on watched topics

or, click on my forum posts in the left column of any screen and find it there...

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:34am
post #16 of 21

Thanks, All4cakes icon_rolleyes.gif

all4cake Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:54am
post #17 of 21

You're welcome. thumbs_up.gif (if someone knows of an easier way...I sure hope they share)

bethasd Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:16am
post #18 of 21

Truth be told I really can't make flowers...BUT...that was an amazing tutorial. THANKS All4cakes! I'd say it took me 2 hours including set up & clean up but I'm sure it'll be quicker next time.
LL

all4cake Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:29pm
post #19 of 21

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif bethasd! That is beautiful! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

How did you get your petals so pointed? Did you use a particular cutter(like that giant daisy that has oooooooooodles of skinny petals?)?

bethasd Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:06pm
post #20 of 21

I used 3 Wilton daisy cutters for the smaller petals and a large round cutter for the outer petals. I tried to mimic the daisy cutter when I cut the circle but it was more like triangles, kind of like /\\/\\/\\/\\ all the way around. Does that make sense? A giant daisy cutter would be great! I wouldn't even have attempted this without your help so THANKS AGAIN all4cake!

all4cake Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:14pm
post #21 of 21

Perfect sense! That was a LOT of edge nipping! The results are great!

At some point, I'd like to get this...

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16588&name=FMM%20The%20Daisy%20Collection

ETA:

I just seen this one too! Looks like they cut the individual petals too(white one...bottom picture...top/right flower)

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20800&name=Multi-Petal%20Daisy%20Gerbera%20(Set%20of%206)%20by%20JEM

I was using the plunger cutters (which, I reckon would give me the same result as that set...)I thought I'd try something more uniform(round cutters)to see if that made a difference....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%