I Sliced My Wrist The Day Before A Wedding Cake Is Due

Decorating By SarahsSweets2006 Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 2:56am by zdebssweetsj

SarahsSweets2006 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 19

The timing couldn't have been any worse... while washing dishes last night, a glass slipped out of my hand and sliced my left wrist. A frantic 911 call, ambulance ride to the ER and a number of stiches later, I am closed up but in so much pain. I can not use that hand at all... It took me about 15 minutes to pull my hair back! Oh yeah, did I mention I have a wedding cake due today!?!? Luckily I already have them stacked and crumb coated... I was supposed to cover them in fondant but I called my customer from the ER and asked if it would be ok if I do a final coat of just Buttercream and they said definitely. (phew!) There is no way I'd be able to knead the fondant, roll it out and drape it over 4 cakes... I do have a friend coming over to help me finish it up. ...And another lucky thing is that it happened to my left wrist and I am right handed so I should still be able to use a spatula and ice up these cakes! I am worried about stacking them on site... bc I tried to lift something earlier today and it felt like my wound was ripping open. UGH. Maybe they have someone there that can help me. This sucks so bad!

Has anyone else had anything like this happen before a cake was due? Forgive me for any typos... I am typing with one hand!

18 replies
nannie Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 19

I am so sorry but relieved that you are ok.

You have the sweetest, most undertanding bride.

Best of luck to you and hope you feel better soon.

all4cake Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 19

OMG! Do be careful! What time is it due? Are you going to be able to make it?

This just makes me think....

Who the heck would I call if something ever happened????

peg818 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 19

everyone should have someone they can call in case of an emergency. I didn't have anyone for a long time, then i met a couple of women that i clicked very well with, and they are who i have on speed dial if i need anything cake related. As they do me too.

Hope this has all worked out for you as you have probably delivered by now, please let us know how you made out.

KHalstead Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 19

don't you think that there MUST be someone on Cake Central close to you that could possibly help out??? I mean if I were close I wouldn't hesitate to come and stack for you!!

cylstrial Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 19

My aunt had a freak accident a few years ago like that. She was trying to open something with a knife. Whatever it was, she was holding on her belly and jamming the knife into the food product. Well...whatever it was moved and she stabbed herself in the stomach with the knife. It was terrible. She had to go to the hospital and sit out for a while, but she ended up healing just fine.

I hope you get better soon.

Ruth0209 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 19

I am SO sorry! That sounds like an awful accident. Maybe if we keep your post at the top, a CCer in your area will see it and offer to help. It'd sure be nice to have someone who knows what they're doing to help you stack it.

Good luck!

totallycaked Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 19

If I was closer.. Im on the other side of the country I would help you in a heartbeat... it will all work out...peace

JanJess Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 19

I had a wedding cake due on a Saturday and on the Thursday before that, I had gotten all the cakes baked and iced but not decorated. That night I came down with a terrible flu and couldn't get near the cake, let alone finish it and deliver it. I called a friend that decorates also and she did the rest for me. I am eternally grateful!!!
If I lived close, I'd come and help. Sorry this happened to you.
Been there, done that.

FromScratch Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:28pm
post #10 of 19

Oh how terrible. If I were closer to you I'd be over in a heartbeat to help you out. Good luck with everything and I hope you heal quickly. So scary. (((hugs)))

SarahsSweets2006 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 6:44am
post #11 of 19

Thanks for everyone's reply and kind words. You all DO have a point... I should find someone as a backup in case something like this happens again! But, everything worked out just fine. I actually was able to ice them all in buttercream and smoothed them out so smoothly (someone at the reception said it LOOKED like FONDANT!) My friend had to help me cut the hidden pillar supports and then carry the cakes and stack them at the reception... which is a whole 'nother story in itself.

The customer failed to mention that the reception was being held in the SAME ROOM as the ceremony. My friend and I were invited to the wedding but since we were running a little behind, we planned on just setting up the cake while the ceremony was going on... until we got to the location and saw that we wouldn't be able to do that!!!! So there we were, me with my gimpy hand hustling trying to stack 4 cakes, touch up the buttercream, put a ribbon border on and place flowers. I think my adrenaline was pumping so much, my wrist didn't hurt at all! I was stressed enough as it was without an audience... so I tried to keep my back to the crowd to block what I was doing. (UGH). But, I think it turned out great! My real photos are on my friend's camera but I took this photo with my cell phone.

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 8:07am
post #12 of 19

That's wonderful that it worked out so well. The cake is beautiful!

Take care of yourself...aquaphor ointment is good for healing cuts, and it doesn't hurt at all when stitches or staples are removed, as long as you've been following the care instructions the hospital gives you.

all4cake Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:10pm
post #13 of 19

I'm glad you were able to get it there and set up successfully...now you can concentrate on getting that arm healed.

Yes, it made me think too!

kakeladi Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:38pm
post #14 of 19

What a wonderful blessing your friend was! Give her a BIG hugicon_smile.gif
You two did a great job. Wonderful, understanding bride - thank the good Lord for that blessing too.

Niquie Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:41pm
post #15 of 19

Sorry that happened to you, but your cake is gorgeous. I couldn't have done that good with 4 hands, let alone 1, so you are amazing!!! Hope your wrist feels better soon.

cylstrial Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:48am
post #16 of 19

The cake looks fantastic! I'm glad that it didn't hurt a lot too.

foxymomma521 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:09am
post #17 of 19

I'm near you if you ever need help again!

Bluebelles Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:20am
post #18 of 19

Thank God your doing well, sounds like a terrifying incident.

zdebssweetsj Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:56am
post #19 of 19

Glad everything turned out so good. Your cake was beautiful. Every once in a while life reminds us of our blessings, fammily and good friends are priceless

Quote by @%username% on %date%