Can I Use Smbc As My Bc Dam??

Decorating By loulou758 Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 3:59pm by 3GCakes

loulou758 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 4

I hope this isn't a really dumb question, so all you experts please don't be annoyed! icon_smile.gif

I'm in the process of making the joint b-day cake I posted about a few days ago; baked last night and I'm filling and icing today. I'm making a raspberry filling (the one that's seedless preserves mixed with a pack of jello).

Here's my question: I'm trying SMBC for the first time and have researched and read up on it, so I feel confident in the recipe, techniques, etc. -BUT- I always use a BC dam when I fill my cakes (like everyone does). Can I use SMBC for the dam? After reading about it and looking at the recipes, I know it doesn't crust, and it seems like it might be not stable enough to use as a dam. Those of you who use SMBC, what are your thoughts? I really don't want to make a small batch of american BC just for the dams (2 layers each, 2 tiers), but if I need to I will! I sure don't want my sides buldging! I also have a can of Duncan Hines BC icing that I bought for cake balls and I thought about using that, but I'm not sure how well it would hold up either.

Thoughts please?? And TIA icon_smile.gif

3 replies
prterrell Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 4

I use IMBC for everything, including the dam. IMBC and SMBC are pretty much the same, so I don't see why you couldn't use SMBC for the dam.

loulou758 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the response! I'm going to try it!

3GCakes Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I use IMBC for everything, including the dam. IMBC and SMBC are pretty much the same, so I don't see why you couldn't use SMBC for the dam.

Ditto.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%