Wedding Cake Newbie - 2 Questions - Tasting And Top Tier

Business By BAKE-ME-A-CAKE Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 3:24pm by JenniferMI

BAKE-ME-A-CAKE Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 17

Hi everyone -

I have yet to produce a wedding cake but I have a few orders lined up for next year. I have two unrelated questions. I appreciate any help.

1. TASTING: I held a tasting yesterday for a couple who wants cupcakes on a tiered stand and has a very specific design in mind. The design is not a problem, we talked and the consultation and tasting went well.

However, after the tasting the bride said that she really wants to see a flower on top of the cupcake like in the design she chose. I told her that I've made sugar flowers before and they are on my website, I have not made one exactly like that before, but I basically explained that I possess the skills.

She explained that she really wants to see a flower like the one in the picture she has. I told her I don't mind going home making one and sending her a pic. She explained that she really wanted to see one in person on the cupcake. She has another appt for a tasting with another baker and she is going to do just that.

So I said, "so you want to meet again to see/taste this cupcake with the flower" she said "yes" I reluctantly agreed to this "2nd tasting", but it's been bothering me.

Maybe I should have told her that I can't make everything to everyone's specific requests for a tasting. She has to trust my work by what she's seen in the pictures and she's tasted my creations, she knows my price, so she has enough information to make a decision. I don't know. I just have a hard time saying no.

2. BOX FOR TOP TIER: Do most reception venues provide the wrapping and box for the top tier of the cake so that it is suitable for freezing and boxed to carry home? Or do I supply that to the caterer? Do I call the caterer on a wedding by wedding basis to ask this question?

Thanks so much for your help/advice!

16 replies
snarkybaker Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 17

1- I wouldn't agree to a " demo" cupckae without payment...Probably in the neighborhood of $10.

2- No, you need to bring the box. I never provide wrap, because I don't encourage the practice of eating year-old cake. If they want to wrap it, that is their business.

Kitagrl Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 17

I would definitely charge for the cupcake. I do offer free tastings but any custom requests or second requests get charged for. And for birthday parties or whatever if they want to taste my cake, I just ask them to order an 8" homestyle iced cake for $25.

I usually try to provide a box for the top tier but sometimes I forget, esp if the bride doesn't plan to save it. Its something I am bad about remembering to note in my contract. icon_redface.gif

Deb_ Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 17

I can understand her wanting to see the flower but why does she need to eat another cupcake? I would make a flower and have her come by to see it, then you can put the pic up on your site.

Yes you provide the box and wrapping....although a nice touch is to offer the couple a certificate for a simple fresh baked 6" cake on their 1 yr anniversary.

minicuppie Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 17

Since almost all of my stacked cakes are delivered in separate boxes, I just leave them at the venue. I tell the planner or some other responsible person that I have left them and where to find them. (usually under the cake table if the linens are floor length). Then they have something to place the (inevitable) leftover cake in to transport home (if they wish). I also provide a "gift certificate" for a small, freshly made anniversary cake.

indydebi Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 17

I tell brides:

"Cake decorating is like a lot of other crafts. If you can knit, for example, you can follow any pattern to make any sweater, even if you've never made that sweater before. This book (touching the book of photos of my cakes) shows you that I can knit. This book (touching the book of photos of cakes from the internet) is the pattern book."

I agree that she doesn't need a whole cupcake tasting again. If she wants to see a flower, make her a flower. If she wants to see it on a cupcake, she can run by walmart an buy one. Otherwise, charge her.

YEs, you provide the box. Venues do not make cakes, ergo they have no reason to buy a supply of boxes to keep on hand for a cake they didn't make and didn't make any profit on.

indydebi Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 17
IsaSW Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 17

1.I have done this before, where the bride wanted to see the actual flowers going on the cake.
I made them and then told her She can stop by and pick up the flowers, since they were to fragile to ship.
She sent the groom, 5 minutes, he picked them up and everybody was happy.
The difference here is that she had already gave me the 50% deposit.
I she would have not, then I would have just charge her for them and done.

2. I leave the box for the 6" tier with a pretty label where my name and contact info is(sort of a sticker). It serves me as a promotional item. I learned here in CC, that some people get your info out of boxes you leave at the venue, so I take advantage of this free advertising.

LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 17

I love seeing clients run people's businesses.

CakeForte Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 17

It bothers you because you know it is unnecessary. She's trying to use that against you. "Oh baker xyz didn't do this for me so I'm going with someone else." WHATEVER.

Extra work outside of the initial consult has a CHARGE to it. Then ou can gladly do i for her.

I offer free consults with about 4 different flavors that are the most popular. I prepare in bulk. If they want to try any custom flavor or have a personalized tasting, they need to pay for it.

costumeczar Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 12:24am
post #11 of 17

Don't let people pressure you into doing things that you don't usually do, just by suggesting that another baker is going to do it for free. You don't know if that's true or not, so just go by what you think is fair for your business. Unless you want to get pushed around a lot, that is.

I had one client a while ago email me a long list of reasons why she had decided to go with another bakery. It was obvious that she was trying to get me to negoaitate with her. Not gonna happen.

BAKE-ME-A-CAKE Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 12:49am
post #12 of 17

Thank you everyone for your advice. Now I know I definitely have to provide the box and I love the idea of the gift certificate for their 1 year anniversary cake. That will also help them to remember me a year later and maybe order again sometime.

As for the more pressing issue, thanks for the advice. For this bride, I'm going to give her what she asked for at no cost, because I already agreed to it. Next time I will first explain myself (i.e. sell myself) a little better (I love your knitting reference, IndyDebi, thank you) and then if the bride really wants it, she can pay for it.

You were all so helpful. I'm so glad I asked!

350BakerStreet Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:07am
post #13 of 17

I would make the flower and put it on a dummy cupcake...just to piss her off icon_wink.gif

dstbni Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:24am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350BakerStreet

I would make the flower and put it on a dummy cupcake...just to piss her off icon_wink.gif

thumbs_up.gif

Jeep_girl816 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 9:03pm
post #15 of 17

People, especially brides, always want something for nothing, they feel entitled, even if it's just one cupcake, same for the people that bring their whole extended families for cake tasting. Maybe start doing what many other cc's do, charge for a tasting(and subsequent tastings) and apply that to the purchase of the cake. I live in an area with a large wine industry and that's what most of the wineries/tasting rooms do and no one bats an eye.

minicuppie Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 3:57pm
post #16 of 17

Please try to remember that for most of your BTB's this will be the one and only time they will get to do the big wedding thing. Some are just starry eyed and uneducated in the ways of event planning. Not trying to school anyone...just IMHO....be kind...and at the end of the day drink heavily. LOL.

JenniferMI Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 3:24pm
post #17 of 17

The cake will taste the same...very strange request.

The venues generally don't supply top tier boxes.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%