Best "glue"?

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 7 Dec 2009 , 7:37am by Mensch

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 6

I need a recipe for the strongest glue to hold stuff to a cake! I have a carved cake with 2 coats of white chocolate ganache. I tried last night to stick my gelatin sheet pieces, first with watered down corn syrup, then when I saw that wasn't working, I started using the ganache which seemed to work better.

But, this morning, many of the pieces (the larger ones) have fallen off!!!! (Good thing this is the test cake!)

5 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 6

Why are you sticking gelatin pieces to a cake that has not yet been covered in fondant? What is your plan? It would be helpful to know in order to advise, because I can't make any sense out of what is going on in that picture.

Also, the light in your oven will warm up the chocolate in the ganache and make it unstable.

lrlt2000 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 6

Sorry, I should have explained. . . I was trying to figure out the best way to replicate this rock monster character:

See the candy-like parts of their bodies? I first thought if I could cover the whole body with glassy fondant, then I could put pieces of gray fondant on top to make the other shapes. I tried experimenting to make a pliable sheet of such stuff (my attempts are shown here: http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/leighrobin/Cake/). Cool stuff, but it did not work as I imagined.

The result was more like a rubber table cloth that wouldn't lay or stick to detailed angles on the carved cake. That is how I ended up where this post pictures--I thought I'd try to cut and piece the glassy pieces and the gray fondant pieces separately!!!

It didn't work.

The finished cake I was doing all of this research for is here: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1532730.html

I ended up not doing the whole body, and for the glassy parts of the face, I just used fruit by the foot fruit roll ups! Not ideal, but better than the messes I created trying the other stuff!

lrlt2000 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 6

Oh, and the oven light was only on when I opened the door to take the picture. It was not on during the night while these pieces were falling off!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlt2000

Oh, and the oven light was only on when I opened the door to take the picture. It was not on during the night while these pieces were falling off!

Did you leave the cake in the oven all night? If that did happen there's a pretty good reason your gelatin melted.

Mike

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:37am
post #6 of 6

?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%