Baskin Robbins Has A Turkey Cake

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 23 Nov 2012 , 2:52am by ssdrin

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:15am
post #1 of 19

So we took my dd to BR tonight b/c of getting some awesome grades this week. As we were sitting there she says "cool mom, it's a turkey cake". I'm oblivious as I'm relaxing & enjoying my cone. I look up to the HUGE poster on the wall that looks like this . http://baskinrobbins.com/spotlight/holidaycakes2009.aspx . It almost seems unfair that bigger chains offer these cakes I consider specialized. (Someone in the cake ball thread mentioned they saw cake balls at Sams).

They also had a small 2 tier (didn't know they did 2 tier) that wound up being about $2/serving. It was actually cute, but I just feel when people see these things they think smaller business shouldn't cost them anymore (guess it goes back to custom cakes at Walmart prices). But this is the first time I've seen a carved type cake from a big chain.

18 replies
totallycaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
totallycaked Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:26am
post #2 of 19

Wow... those are so special for a ice cream store... it does take the fun out of designing something special when you can just go to the store and pick something like that up.. and the christmas stuff too. I am just learning and made two turkey cakes in two days.. just to learn what all of these talented people on cc do.... wahhh I thought I was special... icon_cry.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:45am
post #3 of 19

Bummer, but you know what? I'm pretty sure they cost an arm and a leg! last september while I was getting a cone I was browsing their fridges and saw the prices, a little 6 X 3 in. square with some ballons piped on top, nothing special was $45 so I can only imagine the price or the size of that turkey! Plus, we all know the good thing about it is the ice cream because the cake part crumbles when you cut it..... Cheer up ladies, we do better than that!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:49am
post #4 of 19

It's on their website, if you're curious what it looks like. It says they use ice cream cones for the legs.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 7:10am
post #5 of 19

I'd like to see what those cakes actually look like after the local Baskin-Robbins Wreckerator has made an attempt.

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 7:26am
post #6 of 19

LOL Baskins Wreckorator..love it..hheeumm. I'm one of those wreckorators. I work in Baskins in Au. Pretty sure turkey cakes have been around for years. There are pics in the draw at work from a wrecorator that has done it years ago.
icon_biggrin.gif Leigh

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 19

Mensch - I did a little searchiing & CakeWrecks ALREADY has one! icon_lol.gif

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/11/real-turkey.html

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 19

HAHA @ juleebug!!! That pic makes me so nervous, I am making my first one tomorrow and that just terrifies me!!!! LOL

juleebug Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionmom

HAHA @ juleebug!!! That pic makes me so nervous, I am making my first one tomorrow and that just terrifies me!!!! LOL

ME TOO!!!!!!!! I was plannning to do one next week - now I'm scared to death to even attempt it! icon_lol.gif

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 1:13pm
post #10 of 19

Ugh... i just have this horrible feeling in my gut!! LOL!
Juleebug.. (of topic) I love your cakes! They are great.. and the Edward one.. my dd asked me to make one of Jacob for her friend... FOR TODAY... lol!!!! I am just scared of doing an FBCT that big. Great work and I am sure your turkey wont end up on cakewrecks along with that one and probably mine...haha.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 19

Ok, my first glance at the turkey cake I thought it was disqusting. Then I thought...will this will take care of my family members who dont like turkey or who are the vegiterians!
I wouldnt worry about it. People buy your cakes because of the taste. A large chain will only make people aware that it can be done, but people who go to decorators, will come to you with the idea. When I started my business in edible imaging, I got all worried when the area large chain advertised everywehre that they were doing the picture cakes. To my surprised, it actually generated more business for me because it planted the idea in their head. But when people want something good, they go to the person who specializes in it.

juleebug Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:55pm
post #12 of 19

Thank you, scionmom. BTW, LOOOOOVE your zebra cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

But when people want something good, they go to the person who specializes in it.

How TRUE!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:04pm
post #13 of 19

It's kind of funny to me that Baskin Robbins serves turkey cakes. But oh well.

And the cake wreck turkey was hilarious!

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 19

OK. I was in a really bad mood today until I saw that pic. Thanks b/c I needed a good hard laugh. It amazes me what people try to pass off. You guys are right that it gives people an idea. But people are so cheap around here and have the walmart mentality

Thanks again for the pic. I'm still laughing

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:30pm
post #15 of 19

Baskin Robbins' Turkey is ice cream, I should imagine. Here's a picture of an actual one, not the advertising picture.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/katertot/3161646154/sizes/l/

dandelion56602 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:10am
post #16 of 19

That poor turkey looks like it had a rough life & a bad bake job.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:46am
post #17 of 19

First thought when I saw the Baskins-Robbins turkey cake, was it looked like something died after being hit on the road. If they're going to do a "carved" cake they should do it well, and that cake is not done well, in my opinion.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:55am
post #18 of 19

It's so tiny and (being honest here) kinda gross, we know the ice cream is good but you eat with your eyes first....

ssdrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssdrin Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 2:52am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionmom 

You will be fine just make sure you let it freeze plenty after it's all frosted before the glaze it put on. I sometimes have to glaze it in a few steps just so it's nice and covered.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%