Topsy Turvy Sizing And Pricing Question

Decorating By milissasmom Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 1:08am by FullHouse

milissasmom Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:01am
post #1 of 9

Hello all,

I have a request for a 3 tier Topsy Turvey Wedding cake. I have done 2 small topsy's but didn't sell them (just for kids bday paty's for family) but have always wondered how you figure serving amounts/sizes (since you chop off/carve some of each tier). Anyone know the "rule" or guide for this? What would be the best way to get 3 tiers/100 servings for a wedding? Any and all suggestions would be welcome!

8 replies
FullHouse Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 9

I'd like to know as well. I know I have seen mentioned for carved cakes that people charge for the amount of cake they make not for the servings they wind up with, not sure if that is standard or if that is what would be done for a Topsy Turvy.

cylstrial Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 9

For any carved cake - you always charge for the number of servings before the cake is carved. If you don't, you're the one losing the money.
I think most people start at $5 for TT's and go up from there based on the complexity of the design.

milissasmom Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:28am
post #4 of 9

Per serving pricing was not really my issue/question. I need to know how you figure the correct amounts/servings if you are carving some of the cake you are obviously losing servings right? My per serving price haseen set already. So I am not worried about cheating myself by pricing too low, I am worried about cheating my clients.

I'm wondering how you figure the amount of servings if a cake is being carved/shaved. If I tell them I am making a cake for 100 people but I am prepare cakes in the sizes I would normally get 100 srvs but I carve that, it's gonna be LESS cake no? I need 100 servings. How do I get them??

Is there someone out there who does TT's who can help me out with this question? Thanks Do I start with cakes that are slightly larger than what I would normally use or what? Thanks in advance.

milissasmom Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 9

Really? No one can help with this one huh? Thanks anyways everyone icon_smile.gif

pouchet82 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 9

Maybe try to pm someone who makes a lot of TTs??

FullHouse Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 9

It depends which method you are using to carve the cakes. The way I do it is to cut the top layer of each tier at a diagonal from top corner to bottom corner, then reassemble it so the thin edges match up to each other, so I'm not loosing any servings there. I bake (3) 2" layers for each tier, so the part that I am carving out for the next tier to rest doesn't take away from the serving size either (i.e. the tier is over 5-6"" tall, so when I cut a portion of the top out, the lowest point is still at least 4"). Then as far as tapering the sides, I bake a 6", 8" & 8" and carve so the top of the tier is 8" and the bottom is 6", then am only loosing a little bit for serving size again because of the extra height. I would guesstimate that tier at 16-18 servings rather than 20 just to be safe. I'm honestly not sure if this is the "standard" way or not as I've never sold a Topsy Turvy and it's always bigger than I needed anyhow, but it is what I have discovered just by doing it. HTH.

milissasmom Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks Full House! Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

FullHouse Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:08am
post #9 of 9

Happy to help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%