Is Fondant Faster Than Frositng.

Decorating By Gavriela Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 5:14am by Gavriela

Gavriela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gavriela Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:09am
post #1 of 13

I delivered my first wedding cake today. It was Carrot cake, walnut creme filling and decorators cream cheese frosting....

Is covering a cake in fondant faster than covering in frosting. My cakes are taking me soooooo long that I make like .05 an hour. Am I slow or what?

12 replies
sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:21am
post #2 of 13

Well first, that cake is so pretty! Great job!

I personally think fondant takes longer but some people might disagree. You still have to make the buttercream or whatever and frost it and then the fondant too.

I have to ask though. Did you really mean .05?! I have to assume you are exaggerating, right?

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:28am
post #3 of 13

ahhhhhhhhh no, i love fondant but fondant is alot work, i use marshmallow fondant, well i don't know by the time you make all the frosting needed, for a bc is work to and decorating. you have to make the fondant, alot and if coloring kneading, and if it's big cake alot of rolling. i'm sure you're not slow, you are new, it still takes me alot of time to make a cake, i made a 2 layer fondant cake, and spend most of the day before for the bow and decorations, you do have to let it set for bc to settle, and careful not to put to much butter cream crumb coat or you'll get bump's and bulges , best thing is to make a small one.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:30am
post #4 of 13

It takes me a lot less time to do one in fondant than in buttercream. (that is if all the icing of both kinds is already done and setting there)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:35am
post #5 of 13

I was a die hard 30 year BC-only gal until I finally ventured into the dark side and tried fondant.

Working with BC for 30 years, I considered myself pretty fast at doing a BC cake. I can't believe how easy and fast fondant is. It amazes me that we can charge extra for something that takes 1/2 the time.

I made a groom's cake. From naked cake to completed tree stump cake, including the time to roll out the fondant ... less than 45 mnutes. And I had to hand paint the fondant to look like a tree trunk.

My first naughty cake. From naked cake to (as my daughter said when she saw it) "Oh my god my MOM made that!" ..... again, less than 45 minutes.

Based on the many conversations I see on here, I think it's easier for a BC person to switch to fondant than it is for a fondant person to switch to BC, though. So that may be a factor in why I think it's so easy.

Gavriela Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 13

Father of the groom called the top tier is falling. I could not get there to fix it! They had to unstack the top, remove the rose and restack it! OMG! I cannot even begin to describe the pain in my heart! I can't keep having these issues! I even had the hidden plastic colums in the second tier.... There is no reason it should have been doing this!

What do I do.... Do I wait until they return the separator plates, cake stand and such, then offer a small price break? They already paid.

I spent alot of time "building the gumpaste gazebo" remember they did not have a cake top. So I did this for their top. The bride received a cake topper (see Pic) in the mail just before I delivered the cake. We used hers. However after it was all said and done I think I earned maybe .05 hour. Now my heart is sick with this failure. I can't call as they are in the middle of the wedding!

I will say the next tier cake I make will have as many separator plates and plastic columns as will fit!

indydebi Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 13

ok .... you had hollow plastic dowels in the middle tier ... then the glass thing was sitting on what? Was there a plate on top of the dowels/under the glass thing? If so, I agree that this should not have toppled in any way.

Adding more dowels can sometimes hurt a cake, not help it. If you turn the cake into swiss cheese with too many holes in it (dowel holes), then you've damaged the structural integrity of the cake. Caution on using too many.

Gavriela Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 13

Yes, there was a separator plate on second tier under the bowl, then a dolup of frosting a separator plater under the top tier.....

I was venting, sorry....

indydebi Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 13

wow, sounds like you did everything right. the only thing I can think of is if maybe one of the dowels slipped out of place somehow, causing a lack of support under one corner. Puzzling..... icon_confused.gif

Vent away .... only we cakers can understand how a 'cake disaster' ... no matter how large or small .... can tug at our gut like nothing else in this world. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 2:03am
post #10 of 13

I have only just started using BC as in Australia we use fondant a lot. I buy the ready made fondant, after having made it myself for a time. It is far easier and less time consuming and I find the finished product is neat and tidy.

Still I haven't been able to hide the cream filling in the centre of the cake when putting fondant on. But I think it is because I really hate using two or three layers of fondant, but I guess if you do that then the bulge may lessen. thumbs_up.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 2:26am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavriela

Yes, there was a separator plate on second tier under the bowl, then a dolup of frosting a separator plater under the top tier.....

I was venting, sorry....

Your picture looks like you've done everything right... cannot imagine what might have caused this to have happened. So sorry! The only other suggestion is melted white chocolate vs. a dollop of frosting. There is very little that will budge when tacked down with melted chocolate.
Chin up! (((hugs)))

creatingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creatingcakes Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 2:37am
post #12 of 13

So sorry that happened! I use Satin Ice and prefer fondant, I am much faster using it than frosting~ And my cakes look better too-

Gavriela Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 5:14am
post #13 of 13

I have a call into the Father of the Groom.

Thank you for all your insights and support. My next cake is for my youngest son.... Unbeknownst to him I am making him a UFC cake... He thinks he is getting an alien cake. It will be fun.

I am sooooooo ready for my next cake.

Thank you
Gavi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%