First Wedding Consultation Question

Decorating By lea74 Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 6:12pm by cylstrial

lea74 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 1:51am
post #1 of 4

Hi,
I'm suppose to meet with a bride in about two weeks (she wants to "work out a solid quote") and she already picked out a cake she likes. I've never done a wedding consultation before. How do I prepare myself, what do I bring, what questions do I ask? Also those of you who work from home do you ask brides to come to your home or do you meet at a public place such as cafe....
Do you give price for the wedding cake at consultation? Sorry for all the questions but I want look at least little bit professional...TIA

3 replies
indydebi Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:39am
post #2 of 4

When I was at home, I met with brides at my home. No way I was packing up all my stuff and heading out.

If you know what you charge for everything,there's no reason you can't give a price to her then and there. I always tell them the price, but email the actual quote to her later that day, giving me a chance to check the numbers. But as you're writing down the info on what they want, you should be able to jot the price for that out to the side. (cake .... $3/serving; fondant ... add $1.00/serving; gumpast bow on top ... add $25; outside free delivery area ... add $50 delivery fee, etc.)

I have flat pricing, so I can pretty much give a price for a cake without knowing the design at all. All I have to know is "bc or fondant?".

lea74 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 4

Debi, thank you for your reply!

cylstrial Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 4

You definitely want to ask how many slices of cake? You should ask if they want to eat the top tier or if they want to save the top tier? Flavor of cake?
Flavor of frosting? Are they going to alternate flavors between tiers? Things like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%