Ack! What To Do?(4-H)

Decorating By Sabre3of4 Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 1:54am by sherrycanary62

Sabre3of4 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:55am
post #1 of 6

I volunteered for my cities new 4-H group and one of the things I put down for was the cake decorating project.....
I'm planning to do a class every 2 weeks and was wondering about doing one class for cookies and one class for a ginger bread house project for december. I have NO clue what to do about teaching a gaggle of little kids decorating(Ok, nobody else's kids anyway,lol) and I'm panicking .....
Suggestions and tips would be very appreciated icon_redface.gif

5 replies
bbmom Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 1:09am
post #2 of 6

How many kids will there be, what ages, girls or boys and will there be any helpers?

Narie Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 1:45am
post #3 of 6

4-H members have to be 10 and older. I would be tempted to start with cup cakes and bags with star tips on them with different colors . Also you would need patterns for the tops of the cup cakes. That way you could spend time showing them how to handle a bag without having the frosting squirting out the wrong end. Also they would get to eat their creation. You could also demonstrate the big swirl to on cup cakes with the giant star tip. (Tip Number ?) that would also give them a chance to add sprinkles. Kids love sprinkles.

cownsj Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 1:48am
post #4 of 6

You can also do cupcakes and brownies........

maendings Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 6

I did cub scouts, brownies, girl scouts and 4H with my kids and tought them all to bake and cook. You'd be surprised at how many moms didn't know how to cut up a chicken!! Anyway it all depends on the ages and how many classes you are doing and will this be a continuing education program; baking to decorating
First class I asked them what they were interested in learning about and how much they knew- do you help your mom or grandma or someone. If they are 8-10 they can grasp basic knowlege of baking.
Have a list made out for them on what they need to bring- paper and pencil, own set of measuring cups and spoons, apron, etc.
Have measuring cups, spoons available and explain what they are for and how they work, how to use your oven (if they are old enough) and set the temp to bake with, how to use a timer.
If they are old enough, use a paper plate and divide it into 8 pieces and explain how measuring spoons work (a little math lesson included)
Divide them into groups depending on your number of kids
Lessons on reading measuring cups, cracking eggs, measuring liquids and flours, sugars ect. and why they are different
Start with a simple sugar cookie recipe or bar recipe. It's okay to use canned icing for them to decorate with at first, then move on to making your own simple recipe.
Don't try a gingerbread house unless they can grasp all of the work involved and you have volunteers to help you. (good luck with that one!)
If you have any Wilton books around and you move one to simple piping, just copy some lessons to use.
Alot of it depends on you time and level of not loosing your mind with a bunch of kids; been there done this!
It can be alot of fun and a good learning experience. Have fun with it and email me if you have any questions.

sherrycanary62 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 1:54am
post #6 of 6

4-H has project books and leader books, both available at their website. I was a 4-H member for 10 years...

I would suggest purchasing the purchasing the leaders book. The members will have certain criteria they will have to meet in order to have completed their cake decorating project(s). Alot of members are working toward bronze, silver, and gold stars and the criteria will be important for obtaining these..there are goal sheets, completions sheets etc. Members will need to purchase their own project books, I don't believe they are too expensive...buts its been a good while since I have been involved with 4-H.

Best wishes...4-H is a great place to volunteer your time and skills...I know it will be appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%