Please Help - Frustrated - Ready To Quit

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 1:08am by indydebi

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:23am
post #1 of 6

I'm very new . . . I baked a 6" and 4" square cake (strawberry lemonade - recipe from CC). Cake came out great. Made a lemon icing (recipe from CC used butter, sugar, vanilla and lemon). Started icing and all I got were crumbs. I finished icing the two cakes and put them in the fridge. they look terrible. Can I make another batch of icing tomorrow and put another layer of icing and then decorate? PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME.

5 replies
tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:42am
post #2 of 6

I always put two layers of icing on my cakes. The first is called a crumb coat. It's a layer of thin icing to seal in the crumbs, then I chill it and add the second thicker layer, it shouldn't have any crumbs this way. Check out "you tube" and type in "crumb coat" there should be a video out there on how to do it.

cakeinthebox4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeinthebox4U Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:43am
post #3 of 6

Sure why not? A lot of decorators put a crumb coat on all of their cakes first and then ice a second time. Don't get frustrated (I'm fairly new to this as well) just take it as a learning experience, salvage what you can and know for next time that with this recipe you need the crumb coat first. Your other option is to cover with a layer of fondant and no one will none the wiser icon_wink.gif Good Luck!! Keep at it!! thumbs_up.gif

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:45am
post #4 of 6

It helps to do a crumb coat. Frost with a very light layer over all the cake. It will be very thin and the cake will still show through. It's purpose is to just seal the crumbs. Let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes then frost again with a good coat. Put it on heavy then remove a little at a time as you get it smooth. Remove, scape it back in the bowl, remove, etc over and over again till you get it smooth and the correct thickness. If you check out seriouscakes and tonedna on youtube they have really good demos. To salvage what you have, I would scrape most of the crumby frosting off and use that for your crumb coat. You can use it for something for your family and make a fresh batch and try again.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:45am
post #5 of 6

If your icing is too thick it will make it very difficult to ice with and increase the crumbs pulled into the icing.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 1:08am
post #6 of 6

yes you sure can. I've put 3 layers of icing on a cake before (crumb coat, icing, then another icing) when I've come in the next day and didn't like the way it looked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%