No Matter What I Do...bubbles In The Buttercream!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By Lovemesomecake Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 3:56am by emlashlee

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 7

GRRRRR, I don't know WHAT I'm doing wrong! Everytime I make a batch of buttercream icing it has air bubbles. I use store brand shortening, sugar, water and vanilla. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? Does anyone have any pointers on how to avoid air bubbles?

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 7

have you watched sharon's video on making icing? It's a really good, helpful teaching tool.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:39am
post #3 of 7

when i am done making my icing, i beat it with the paddle on the absolute slowest setting for 5-6 minutes to remove the airbubbles.

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:41am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

have you watched sharon's video on making icing? It's a really good, helpful teaching tool.

Yes, I actually have the dvd. I haven't tried the hi ratio shortening, but I follow everything else she says to do and it still comes out with air bubbles. icon_sad.gif

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:54am
post #5 of 7

I have the same problem - sometimes! I will make 10 batches of perfect buttercream, and then WHAM, one with a gajillion tiny little air bubbles! I had a "pefect" batch yesterday. Then today, using the SAME INGREDIENTS and the same equipment, I had a batch riddled with the tiny pin-holes of air. It's frustrating, to say the least... I also use Sharon's method (though with my own recipe), and am consistent, just sometimes something goes horribly wrong.

If you find an answer, please share it with me! icon_cry.gif

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:07am
post #6 of 7

I am going to guess you are over mixing it. I have used a lot of SugarVeil and this same thing can happen if you beat it too long

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:56am
post #7 of 7

I don't have the DVD (on my Christmas list), but I had a big problem with air bubbles because I would run my KA too high. I have to fight the urge, but running it on the absolute lowest speed helps a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%