Ah! Ganache Trouble!

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 9:34pm by pattycakesnj

lrlt2000 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 4

I stored my ganache in the frig, and just microwaved on power level 2 to soften it up. I'd say it was the consistency of thick peanut butter (as someone suggested in another post).

BUT, when I was spreading it, it was picking up LOTS of crumbs and not spreading easily!! I am using this because I have a lot of sharp edges that I need clean!

Any thoughts? Was I supposed to do a crumb coat with BC first? Should/Can I do a crumb coat with the ganache? I really didn't want too much sweet/icings on this.

Any thoughts?? icon_eek.gif

3 replies
mom2twogrlz Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 4

I just had the same problem with mine. I just did a crumb coat with ganache, chilled the cake and came back with another thin coat. It worked pretty good.

Cakepro Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 4

Sounds like it's too thick. Give it a few more seconds in the microwave. No, you were not supposed to apply a buttercream crumb coat (learned THAT the hard way LOL).

pattycakesnj Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 4

Ganache does not need to be refrigerated. Sugar Shack has a great suggestion on ganache that I now use and works great. Make ganache the day before, cover and sit on the counter onernight. Next day it is ready to go, goes on easy and sets up great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%