Is There An Article Bashing Home Bakeries Or Something??????

Business By Michele01 Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 9:34am by JanH

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:25pm
post #181 of 220

I put coffee creamer in my "gourmet coffee" what does that mean?

Or what if it's a "gourmet" coffee creamer made with fresh cream steeped in vanilla bean with diamonds sprinkled in it and topped with angel tears, does that still make it questionable?

...my random thoughts for the day....

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:34pm
post #182 of 220

Well..................I think you're gonna have .... GOURMET POOPIES!!!

all sparkley from all themz diamonds that gonna go straight down to your a#@e!! hahahahahahaha

As for coffee creamer???? mmmmmmmm NEVER putting that stuff down my throat! Would rather have good black ITALIAN coffee! and those sparkly diamonds on my fingers!! icon_razz.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:34pm
post #183 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Or what if it's a "gourmet" coffee creamer made with fresh cream steeped in vanilla bean with diamonds sprinkled in it and topped with angel tears, does that still make it questionable?

Remember that really expensive gourmet coffee that costs hundreds a pound and is harvested thru animal dung? (Can't remember the details)

But, again, one persons' gourmet is (literally) someone else's crap. icon_lol.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:36pm
post #184 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Quote:

Remember that really expensive gourmet coffee that costs hundreds a pound and is harvested thru animal dung? (Can't remember the details)

But, again, one persons' gourmet is (literally) someone else's crap. icon_lol.gif

This is why I don't drink coffee! icon_lol.gif Well, that and the fact that I don't like it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:37pm
post #185 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Quote:

This is why I don't drink coffee! icon_lol.gif Well, that and the fact that I don't like it.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Just stick to the Walmart brand...designed for those of us who can't afford crap!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:38pm
post #186 of 220
Quote:

Quote:

lol...never thought I would have to Google "cat poop coffee" but there's a first for eveything!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:39pm
post #187 of 220

POOP COFFEE....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak, although I remain convinced this is an urban myth.

costumeczar Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:39pm
post #188 of 220

Oh wow, who would apply for the job of "harvesting" those beans? That's a really sh#@ty job, har de har har!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:45pm
post #189 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Just stick to the Walmart brand...designed for those of us who can't afford crap!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

BIG LOL! on that one! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ApplegumKitchen Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:48pm
post #190 of 220

FRAPPACAPPADOODAHS !!!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:51pm
post #191 of 220

Ok I'm refusing to click on those "poop coffee" links....I like my morning Joe too much. icon_wink.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:51pm
post #192 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_say_like_too_much

Because you're taking something created by hobbyists (as this particular thread is not in the Business forum), and in so many words, pinning it on professionals. Do you tell your customers that the recipes they are reading come from non-professional, non-business owners who are brainstorming for fun?

Dude, like no one is like restricted to like just one forum.
There's no great gulf fixed between the business forum and the other ones. People enjoy & post because knowlegeable people will answer.

Like duh.

Snarks said 'cake decorators' --apparently she doesn't pedigree each and every poster when speaking to her clients.

So like when you get your team of pastry chefs and cake decorators, hire another dozen or more folks and open up a shop that attracts tv crews and tons of customers that generate enough income to pay all those folks--have your vanilla blended special etc. then like:
Breaking News Like Breaking News
be sure to tell all your potential clients that hobbyists are like posting in the gourmet thread. icon_lol.gif

costumeczar Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:55pm
post #193 of 220

I think this thread has turned in a very strange direction icon_lol.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:00am
post #194 of 220

Well, it is a good thing there is anonymity here, I am sure if some clients read this thread they would be impressed. icon_redface.gif

Deb_ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:01am
post #195 of 220
Quote:

Well, I'm just taking a stab in the dark here, but I'm betting that you don't disclose that many, if not all, of the bakers contributing to that thread are in fact hobbyists/non-business owners/non-pros (however you would like to describe them is moot since there is no way any of us could know who all of them are or what they do in the real world). And that, my friend, is shady.

If you want to send spies out to work for your competitors and get a hold of their super secret recipes, then print those babies out for your customers to peruse, at least you'd be comparing yourself to actual businesses and known professionals. Still shady, but at least you're comparing apples to apples.

Taking that thread and pitting hobbyist recipes against your own to make a point about home bakers and their skill set - because, let's face it, that is exactly what you're doing - is disingenuous at best and unethical at worst. thumbsdown.gif

Please read page 1 of that thread where someone asks Macsmom (I love her and use her mmf recipe, I am in no way discrediting her at all), but anyway, she's asked what she would charge for these "gourmet" cakes.

She answers that she charges $4 to $5 per serving.

I'd say that's not hobbyists shooting the breeze......sounds like business folk discussing their product/pricing.

So in fact that thread DOES indeed have pro's who sell their cakes.....therefore Snarks is comparing apples to apples.

She can then take this info and use it to support why her prices may be higher.

See where this is going?......It's a great marketing tool only I didn't even realize it until now.

In closing I'd like to say I did have 2 glasses of Cabernet with dinner, so I apologize for rambling. icon_razz.gif

snarkybaker Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:04am
post #196 of 220

I think everybody needs a kitten hug Image

There....now don't you all feel better?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:07am
post #197 of 220

Is that a professional cat or a scratch one??

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ApplegumKitchen Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:09am
post #198 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I think this thread has turned in a very strange direction icon_lol.gif

You think??? Crap is crap is crap... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:09am
post #199 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif you are so warped! but that's why I luv ya! icon_lol.gif

ApplegumKitchen Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:10am
post #200 of 220
Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gificon_cry.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

TOO funny!

Deb_ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:11am
post #201 of 220
Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Is there a difference? it's the wine....clouding my thoughts....

snarkybaker Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:13am
post #202 of 220
Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tee hee

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:40am
post #203 of 220

That is a gourmet cat if I ever saw one.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:05am
post #204 of 220
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

Quote:

Quote:

If someone is selling cake, doesn't that make them a professional ?

icon_lol.gif
Way to answer my question with another question! Let the evasive maneuvers begin! icon_rolleyes.gif

Okay, rather than a question how about this ? The definition of professional is undertaken or engaged in as a means of livelihood or for gain, so as soon as you gain ie: take money for a cake you are a de facto professional, and that is certainly the case in my state. It is ABSOLUTELY FAIR GAME to compare the methods we use and compare them, without derisive adjective, to methods used by other people who take money in exchange for baked goods.

Wow. You're doing everything possible to not answer my question. I gotta give you some mad law school props for that! icon_lol.gif

Well, I'm just taking a stab in the dark here, but I'm betting that you don't disclose that many, if not all, of the bakers contributing to that thread are in fact hobbyists/non-business owners/non-pros (however you would like to describe them is moot since there is no way any of us could know who all of them are or what they do in the real world). And that, my friend, is shady.

If you want to send spies out to work for your competitors and get a hold of their super secret recipes, then print those babies out for your customers to peruse, at least you'd be comparing yourself to actual businesses and known professionals. Still shady, but at least you're comparing apples to apples.

Taking that thread and pitting hobbyist recipes against your own to make a point about home bakers and their skill set - because, let's face it, that is exactly what you're doing - is disingenuous at best and unethical at worst. thumbsdown.gif

OK fact check: Snarky didn't say she disses the people on the macsmom gourmet thread. She said she shows them to her customers as evidence that many bakers make their "gourmet" cakes using flavorings & box mixes while her bakery doesn't. See the difference in these statements:
1) Baker A uses coffee creamer & box mix
2) Baker A's cakes taste artificial and are nowhere near as delicious as my cakes.
1 is simply stating fact and 2 is making value judgments which would be considered bashing or putting the competitors down. Nowhere did Snarky say anything akin to statement 2. She never said that those people are BAD or wrong. Just different. It is is the readers of this forum who put those words into Snarky's mouth.

The purpose of pointing out facts is to present all available options so that the customer can make an informed decision about what she wants. Of course another purpose would be to present your business's strengths and advantages. A business owner would be remiss if she didn't do that. Bashing competitors is not the goal.

And FWIW the majority of posters in the gourmet thread are business owners (with licensed businesses, kitchens &/or storefronts) and home bakers who sell their cakes - making them business professionals too. They weren't a bunch of mommies asking what they can make for their son's kindergarten class or for their next potluck. They were specifically asking about what sells and how to make it.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:07am
post #205 of 220
Quote:

POOP COFFEE....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak, although I remain convinced this is an urban myth.

It's not. They're from Java and their quite popular here in Indonesia. Can't say I can tell the difference though between it and fresh beans from the grocery store. icon_wink.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:07am
post #206 of 220

Where is this gourmet thread you all speak of?? icon_razz.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:14am
post #207 of 220
Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:29am
post #208 of 220

Hey Snarky!! I loved the little kitten avatar you used to have. I miss seeing it when you make a post. Yes, your cupcake looks nice, but the kitten was much cuter.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:34am
post #209 of 220

Spies = research

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:45am
post #210 of 220
Quote:

Quote:

Because you're taking something created by hobbyists (as this particular thread is not in the Business forum), and in so many words, pinning it on professionals. Do you tell your customers that the recipes they are reading come from non-professional, non-business owners who are brainstorming for fun?

Dude, like no one is like restricted to like just one forum.
There's no great gulf fixed between the business forum and the other ones. People enjoy & post because knowlegeable people will answer.

Like duh.

Snarks said 'cake decorators' --apparently she doesn't pedigree each and every poster when speaking to her clients.

So like when you get your team of pastry chefs and cake decorators, hire another dozen or more folks and open up a shop that attracts tv crews and tons of customers that generate enough income to pay all those folks--have your vanilla blended special etc. then like:
Breaking News Like Breaking News
be sure to tell all your potential clients that hobbyists are like posting in the gourmet thread. icon_lol.gif

Wow. icon_lol.gif You've finally managed to give me a headache with one of your posts, K8! I'm shocked it's taken this long. icon_rolleyes.gif At least the word "emulsifier" didn't make an appearance. thumbs_up.gif

All I'm saying is that you can't just assume that everyone here who shares a recipe is a pro, so you can't treat them as such. This is the internet. People can be whomever they want to be, and no one can prove otherwise. Same with big time peeps. Who knows what cake celeb might be here under a low key pseudonym? You never know with the internet, so it's probably best to stick with what you do know in the real world. Yeah?

(K8, if you wish I can insert a bunch of "like"s for you, since you clearly need that kind of thing in your life. That is, unless you were just trying to be a b!tch. icon_lol.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%