What To Use For Sticking Fondant On Styrofoam Dummies

Decorating By ccc1234 Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 12:23am by Rylan

ccc1234 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone, I was told to use Karo syrup to make the fondant stick to the styrofoam. Is this correct??? Ive never done one b4 and would like your comments on this. I just got my shipment from DALLAS FOAM and cnt wait. Thank you everyone for recommending Dallas Foam my dummies look great!!!!!

12 replies
-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 13

I usually forget to use anything.

Last time I did remember to use water, the water collected around the bottom edge after I had it covered. It was the pourous type of foam not the smoothy smooth stuff so the water tunneled in...and out. icon_biggrin.gif

Water will work but use it carefully/sparingly.

I don't know--not that fondant isn't sweet all on it's own but Karo syrup sounds like it'd get the army ants summoned & marching through my house.

leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 13

I just use a *light* mist of water.

jmr531 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 13

I've never used corn syrup, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I usually use piping gel.

Lenette Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 13

I just use a little water. Don't use too much! I have never heard of using Karo. No need to buy that when water works just fine. icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 13

I just did mine with a little water and it worked great.

springlakecake Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 13

I used just a bit of piping gel, just around the bottom.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 13

Piping gel.

Cakepro Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 13

I use piping gel thinned down with water, which is also what I use for doing the stretched fabric effect on cake boards with fondant. You have some time to maneuver the fondant around before it sticks hard. It seems to me that corn syrup would be a little on the runny side...but I've never tried it personally.

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:41pm
post #10 of 13

I massage the dummy with crisco and I love the results.

The crisco fills in a lot of the irregularities in the styro and if you have to remove the fondant for any reason, it's not sticky. You get no pooling of water at the bottom and no melting that can occur if you get too much water under a thin spot of fondant.

Rae

niccicola Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:39pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I use piping gel thinned down with water, which is also what I use for doing the stretched fabric effect on cake boards with fondant. You have some time to maneuver the fondant around before it sticks hard. It seems to me that corn syrup would be a little on the runny side...but I've never tried it personally.

What is this "stretched fabric" effect and do you have pictures of it? Thanks!

Cakepro Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:19pm
post #12 of 13

Yes ~ several of the cakes in my photos have that effect on the cake board, and I posted instructions on how to do it in the last 2 days. Can't remember what thread it was in though.

Rylan Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:23am
post #13 of 13

I do it like Rae does. I also use shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%