My Sss(Hhh!!!)Ecret Wedding!!

Decorating By carmenid Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 4:46am by delisa01

carmenid Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 15

My fiance and I had the crazy idea of getting married in secret at the end of November, we thought that would be a pretty stupid but romantic thing to do! He is currently in Colombia and the idea was to get married down there.

Well, after a long and stressful three weeks of trying to get all the legal paper work in order and sent there on time we were finally approved and scheduled and to get married on November 30th and needless to say I am beyond excited!

It is just going to be the officiant and us, there will be no family members or whitnesses, we don't want anyone to know. We will have our big religious wedding next September but for now eloping will be just our sweet little memory.

Anyway, since I am a baker and a cake decorator it doesn't sound right to me not to have a cake to celebrate our secret affair. I have been thinking about bringing a small 6 inch cake with me on the plane. I have been looking for information on TSA to see what types of foods are allowed in the plane and so far I havent seen any restrictions other than liquids and unwrapped food items. I am not planning to use any wires, dowells or anything sharp on the cake. Do you have any insight on this?

And also, I would like to have make a chocolate cake. Can you suggest a good non perishable filling? I was thinking of something fruity, like raspberry.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 15

I just wanna say, Awwww how sweeeet!!!

So happy for you!!!!!!!!!!

ladyellam Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 15

Can't offer any advice on the airplane requirements but I just would like to offer you many years of happiness together.

SharonK1973 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 15

Two years ago I took a 10" square cake with me to Belize on the plane. I told them it was a cake, the xray confirmed it, and I kept it in a sealed cake box on the floor under my seat. I just made sure to tape the bottom side of the cake board to the box so it didn't slide even if it tried!

tatorchip Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 15

congratulations, and have a safe trip, best wishes

sweetpea1972 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 15

Congratulations!

I don't know about now, but I wanted to take a 8" cake to NC for my cousin's wedding (for the topper) last November. I was told that the buttercream constituted a "gel-like substance" in too big a quantity than what is allowed in a carry-on (if you can believe that!). I could pack the icing separately in my luggage and decorate it there. (I didn't). I'd check with the specific airline that you are flying.

Good luck!

brincess_b Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 15

congratulations icon_smile.gif
you need to speak to your airline. i have heard of people needing to dispose of fondant (ie: plastic explosive!) even in its packet.
in theory it should be fine, but you are better checking.
xx

cylstrial Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 15

Awww...congrats! I'm excited for you!

carmenid Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:09pm
post #9 of 15

Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif

Never thought that buttercream will be considered a gel like substance but it totally makes sense now that I think about it, and guess that the same will apply to fillings.

Cupcakes would be a good alternative as well, and those will be easy to frost when I am down there.

I will check with the airline before I do anything.

manahigh Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:26pm
post #10 of 15

Wish the best for you on this one. My sister and husband secretly eloped in April 1965(he was wanting to avoid being drafted into the army) They had a September wedding planned all along and when they met with the preacher a few weeks prior to the wedding, and confided that they were already married, he said he would not be part of this charade and that they needed to go tell the parents. Wow, what a mess that was! My mom has not forgiven him to this day for keeping this a secret from them. It all turned out fine. The preacher performed a blessing ceremony for them and they are still married today, but it caused alot of hurt feelings all these years. I feel that you should tell your family what you are about to do. You should not start out a life together with secrets from your friends and family. JMHO

cs_confections Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:37pm
post #11 of 15

Too funny! My hubby and I secretly married Nov. 29, 2004, but had our wedding Sept. 16, 2005.

Congrats and good luck! I hope you are able to take your cake and it makes it there okay!

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:42pm
post #12 of 15

Congratulations!!! May God Bless Your Marriage and safe trip to Colombia.

AnnaJo Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:57pm
post #13 of 15

Aww congrats! I'm from colombia, and if you are unable to take a cake just get one there. They have some great cakes.

khoudek Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:03am
post #14 of 15

OK, this may sound an extreme thing to do. But... my peacock cake was actually made in California for some dear friends of ours I live in TN. I shipped all my ingredients and supplies, made the cake when I got there. Not saying you should go to those extremes, but maybe you could make it once you got there, especially if it is a smaller cake for two? Are you staying at a resort or a condo with a kitchen?

delisa01 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:46am
post #15 of 15

Awww...congratulations...how exciting! Sorry, I have no advice for your cake but wanted to wish you the best thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%