Steaming Fondant

Decorating By kellyhoffer Updated 25 Nov 2009 , 12:53pm by Sylkladie

kellyhoffer Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 9

So I see on the cake shows that they use steam to make the fondant shiny. I would like to know if anyone does this and how. I was wondering if my iron would do the trick.

8 replies
jodibug0975 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 9

No clue on the iron. I use a "Clothes Buddy" steamer that I got at Walgreens for about $15-20.

susanscakecreations Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 9

I suppose an iron could do it........I have a steamer I got from Avon, but it sometimes wants to spit and I'm looking for a better alternative also...........I read somewhere where someone used the steam from a tea kettle??????

confectionsofahousewife Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 9

I have read this too and I tried using my iron a couple weeks ago. It worked okay. It definitely let steam out but I didn't feel like it made my fondant very shiny. So, I don't know if I didn't let it steam long enough. Also, and this is my own stupidity, I was steaming round cakes and and when I was steaming the back of the balls I tipped the iron upside down and poured water onto the cake icon_surprised.gif Oops. At least they were practice cakes. All that to say, I am going to try the iron again some time and let it steam on the fondant longer. I don't know why it would make a difference where the steam comes from. Steam is steam, kwim?

kellyhoffer Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 9

that is funny it sounds like something I would have done LOL! I may try and look at walgreens for a little steamer.

So how long should you do it for? icon_biggrin.gif

pastrychf Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 9

Is it possible to steam fondant accents on a buttercream iced cake?

Win Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 9
Originally Posted by pastrychf

Is it possible to steam fondant accents on a buttercream iced cake?

Yes, but your buttercream will shine for a bit as well. As to the iron for steaming --I'd be VERY cautious when using one. If it spits, it will leave a blob on your cake. I have a clothes steamer that I use for not only shining up the fondant 9I personally don't like it too shiny) but also for removing any traces of cornstarch or powdered sugar. As well, it is at its most valuable for setting the dusts on gumpaste flowers.

Win Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 9
Originally Posted by kellyhoffer

So how long should you do it for? icon_biggrin.gif

Just lightly run it across the cake... it should take seconds only. Not too close or you get wet, soggy fondant.

Sylkladie Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:53pm
post #9 of 9

I was just wondering if a hair blower would work as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%