Soccer Ball Cake

Decorating By rgrady06 Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 2:38am by cakesrock

rgrady06 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 7

I'm doing a soccer ball cake sitting on top of a square "grass" cake. I'm thinking that I definately need to have a dowel rod running between the two. Should I also have cardboard between? Should I shave off a bit of the ball to provide a flat surface for balance? And would you decorate the soccer ball (fondant) and then stack, or place it on the square cake before decorating? Lots of questions, I know, but I want to do it right. One more while I'm at it. I was thinking of doing a RIT with the team symbol and score record on it. But obviously it cannot touch the buttercream without melting. Can I do it on wire to stick into the cake? Or straws? Thanks for your help!

6 replies
KHalstead Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 7

ok, I'll see if I can help since I did a cake that sounds very similar to what you're doing. Mine was done on an 8" square. I iced, smooth, and airbrushed green the square cake, then doweled it, then put a small disc of cardboard to set the "ball" on, then iced that and laid on the fondant pieces over top for the pattern. Then I piped on the grass onto the square cake.

HTH

Oh and I would just use lollipop sticks or skewers for your score board (you can always wrap the skewer or stick in fondant if you don't want the naked stick to show) might be cool to paint them with silver luster dust too to make them look metal..or even just paint black ?
LL

malishka Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 7

i've always wanted to know how in the heck does one make a soccer ball cake. How do you get the pattern to fit correctly?

KHalstead Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 7

you use the little pattern they give you with the pan lol

malishka Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 7

thank you. I have a "round pan" you know the one that you can put 2 halves together and make a perfectly round cake. I didn't realize one could use a soccer ball pan. Don't have one of those.

KHalstead Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 7

that's the pan, it's the "ball pan" from wilton, it's in two halves and it comes with a little instruction sheet that shows you how to make it into a volleyball, basketball, soccer ball, baseball, etc. and has little templates on the sheet as well.

cakesrock Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 2:38am
post #7 of 7

There's also the bigger Wilton soccer ball pan - I have one. It is just a 1/2 pan, but you can just bake 2. It has all the indents, so it's easier to get the pattern right.... You just have to make sure you used dowels and cardboard in betweenicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%