Help With Pearl Mold!!

Decorating By ladycake17 Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 3:57am by Shades

ladycake17 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 8

I just bought two different size pearl molds, the ones that make the whole pearl. I can't get it right. Please help!!! I rolled out a piece into a skinny snake about the size that the pearls would be, I dusted the mold with luster dust, I put it in the middle of the mold and shut the mold and mashed it together. I scraped all of the excess that came out of the mold and when I opened it, it was all stuck in there and had excess fondant on the pearls. What am I doing wrong???? I have to make these tonight for a wedding cake due tomorrow!!!!

7 replies
shearpamela Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 8

I also bought the molds after watching Jennifer Dontz's DVD, and she uses a small thin palette knife to flick the edges loose because they do stick to the sides.
I plan to try mine this weekend so I'll see how it goes!

Loucinda Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 8

Try using a little less fondant. Make sure your mold is dusted well before putting the fondant in it. You can cut some of the excess off, just put that section towards your cake.

sadsmile Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 8

Yeah as Loucinda said... you need to put a lot of dust in there. And just flip the seam on the pearls to be glued to the cake so it will be hidden. thumbs_up.gif

deetmar Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 8

I put my snake in there, then take a palette knife and run down he top of the mold to get rid of the excess. Then I put it in the freezer for 4 minutes, I guess it's suppose to be for 5, but I am not inpatient. Bring it out, open it up, and coax it out. I think Globalsugarart has this in some of their instructions. Works like a champ!

Make sure you use a lot of pearl dust, and I also use Jennifer's mixture, so it tastes yummy too!

chanielisalevy Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 1:06am
post #6 of 8

You have 2 choices - either 1) knead in some crisco, it will come right out! or 2) put in the freezer for a few minutes if you have not used crisco. Either willo work like a charm!

cabecakes Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:28am
post #7 of 8

You may want to watch this It's a video posted on youtube by tonedna. Great stuff.

Shades Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:57am
post #8 of 8

Here's the link to the global sugar art site, it's instructions on how to use a mold for pearl borders etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%