Fondant Freak Out-- Hold My Hand Please...

Decorating By valbos22 Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 3:35pm by MissRobin

valbos22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valbos22 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 20

Okay I ordered the Satin Ice Red, it arrived and I have my Lightening McQueen cake carved and frosted. It causes me great anxiety to imagine rolling out the fondant and covering the entire cake in one swoop. Should I do it in logical sections? Also my buttercream has hardened. Should I lightly spritz with water to make it tacky again? You would think I was standing at the end of a plank right now the was I feel! If you look at my first fondant experience (Tow Mater in pics) you can see why I wondering why I didn't just stick with buttercream and the paper towel method. icon_cry.gif

I want to do this and if anyone can assist it is all of you--HELP!

19 replies
MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 20

Yes, do it all in one piece (fondant), and lightly spritz your buttercream first. I use a paper towel that has been dampened and light rub the buttercream. Just take your time and be sure and smooth and tuck it into all of the nooks. HTH!

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 20

I have never covered a carved cake, but I'm guessing covering it in one shot would look best. I imagine it would be easier than the tow mater cake (which looked great btw! =) because there arent any sharp angles. If you do do it in sections try to make it where the seams would be less noticeable.? Sorry im not much help, I just wanted to give you a bump. And remember to have fun! You show that cake who's boss! thumbs_up.gif

valbos22 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 20

Thanks for the courage boost and I think this cake is going to show who is boss-- let's hope it is me! The damp papertowel idea, I like-- then I can really smooth it. I used a different buttercream-- butter, powdered sugar and vanilla-- no crisco. Thanks for the compliment on Mater, I was lucky he was meant to be worn down looking, hee hee.

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 20

I would do it with one piece of fondant. Just roll out a big enough piece and you shouldnt have any problems. Good Luck!

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 20

Definitely all one piece, you will get a much better finish. I think you will find it easier this time as the surface will be much easier to cover and it's not your first time using it.

valbos22 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 20

Thanks everyone. I am now having to bake my car a third time-- aaaa! The icing was rock hard and caused the car to fall apart when I was trying to dampen it-- would I have better luck with a glaze on the next car since I am doing it all today?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 20

that is weird - was the bc very thick when you put it on?
try to fondant beore your icing crusts up, then you dont need to worry about trying to dampen it again.
(a glaze might work, but your better using bc, or ganache - but thats maybe a bit risky under time limits! unless u have done it before?)
xx

valbos22 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 20

It was, different, it reminds me of a very thick sugar glaze, I wonder if it is because there was no crisco in it? Also with the carving, there are a few really delicate areas that just fell off. This has been the cake from Hades. I am just glad I still have time to do stuff-- and this is only my second time with fondant and it is about to send me screaming back to my faux fondant buttercream. icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 20

I feel your pain. The frog cake in my photos was my very first carved cake, and I covered it with one piece of fondant. It was quite difficult to get it covered neatly. I had a few tears and pleats. It was MY cake from Hades. icon_razz.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 20

Not quite understanding what one does with a wet paper towel...but if your buttercream icing has crusted, you can simply spritz the cake with water using a fine misting bottle, like you find in the travel section of Wal-Mart and Target, etc.

Use a normal buttercream on your cake (Buttercream Dream is a great one - the recipe is found in the recipe section here) and smooth it with a dry Viva paper towel. Roll out your fondant. Spritz the cake with water. Apply fondant. Using a regular buttercream will allow you to create lines and indentions and great details on the cake. A hardened sugar glaze is not ideal for your particular project.

You can do it!! icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:35pm
post #12 of 20

buttercream is called buttercream because of the butter! the crisco version is a variation - more able to stand up to the heat, cheaper to make.
i would guess you used too much ps/ not enough liquid (as it doesnt sound like you used any - milk or water, or even juice to flavour it works)
with the carving, anything really detailed, like maybe lumps where the lights are, it is easier to build them up in bc or with a ball of fondant.
it also matters what recipe you used, some just dont do well with carving.
xx

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:53pm
post #13 of 20

If you are having issues with you buttercream, you may want to try this recipe that was graciously provided by indydeb:
Indydebis Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing
Ingredients
1-1/3 cups Cricso
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (*)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on your personal taste
2 lbs powdered sugar

(*) A powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods, usually found in the cake/sugar aisle in the grocery.

Instructions
Theres no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar for a minute or two, then gradually add the sugar, but the only reason I did this was to avoid the sugar-splash factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.

Many on here love this recipe. That's indydeb.

LadyC88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyC88 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:42pm
post #14 of 20

This may sound like a silly question, but when you buttercream a cake prior to fondanting it, would you recommend using a dry paper towel to smooth it just after you've put it on? I've never heard of this before, or the spritzer idea, which is genius! xxx

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 10:15pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyC88

This may sound like a silly question, but when you buttercream a cake prior to fondanting it, would you recommend using a dry paper towel to smooth it just after you've put it on? I've never heard of this before, or the spritzer idea, which is genius! xxx

Smoothing buttercream with a paper towel is a very popular technique. It's called the "Viva method" because Viva paper towels are preferred for the job due to them not having any pattern embossed in them. Use a fondant smoother with the paper towel to achieve optimal results.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 10:43pm
post #16 of 20

I always crust, smooth with viva and spritz my fondant cakes, otherwise I can't bet the fondant to adhere to the crusted buttercream.

LadyC88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyC88 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 9:13am
post #17 of 20

Thank you very much! That explains a lot of the unbelievably beautiful smooth cakes on here, thank you! How has the car turned out? xxx

valbos22 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 8:43pm
post #18 of 20

Thanks everyone for all of your help. The cake turned out okay and I am sure you all can sympathize with me on noticing every imperfection that non- cake decorating folk don't see. Thank you again, it is so nice to have this community to turn to for help and inspiration!
[/img]

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 8:54pm
post #19 of 20

Wow! Great job!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:35pm
post #20 of 20

When I use a damp paper towel to moisten my crusted buttercream, I wet it, ring out most of moistue,and ever so gently lay on top sides and gently rub with my hand, that is just the way I do it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%