Advice Please

Baking By jadedlogic Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 4:46pm by metria

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone, I am pretty new here and to cake decorating and my aunt has asked me to make my cousins birthday cake for this sunday. She said to decorate it however I want but she would like a pound cake with whatever filling I want. I have never made or even tried a pound cake so I am looking for some advice on a recipe/filling/icing that would go well together. Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 8

if you search the recipes section herew online you will find amny recipes to choose from for pound cake icon_smile.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 8

CC Pound Cake Recipe link: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/category/pound-cakes

Also found this on Cake Mix Doctor:

Carol McMillion of Catawba, VA, says she gave up scratch cakes once she tried this pound cake recipe, which was given to her by a friend about five years ago. I understand why. This is the most moist and memorable pound cake I have had in years. She says any flavor of plain cake mix can be used instead of yellow. Begin with a lemon cake mix and add fresh lemon zest instead of the vanilla, for example.

8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
5 large eggs
1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 container (8 ounces) sour cream, at room temperature
Evaporated milk to fill the line of the empty sour cream carton (1 cup)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Set the pan aside.

2. Place the butter and oil in a large mixing bowl, and beat with an electric mixer on medium-low until creamy, 1 minute. Add the sugar, and beat another 1 to 2 minutes, or until creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating each time until the batter is lemon colored and the yolk of the egg has just been combined. Add the cake mix, flour, sour cream, evaporated milk, and vanilla. Beat another 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until the batter is thick and well combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place the pan in the oven.

3. Bake the cake until it is golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 60 to 65 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool 15 minutes.

4. To serve, slice and served with sweetened peaches or berries.

jadedlogic Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks, I am taking the Wilton courses and have been using the Wilton Buttercream recipe but just the other day tried Indydebi's and really liked it. I have never had pound cake before so do you think either of those icings will go well with pound cake? And maybe a vanilla pudding filling? I find this site so helpful!
Thank you icon_smile.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 8

I've made Paula Deen's pound cake with success:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/mamas-pound-cake-recipe/index.html

Here's a video of what pound cake should be like (according to whoever this guy is) when finished:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2332596_serve-pound-cake-recipe.html

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 8

EVERYTHING goes well with pound cake. It's just a very dense and moist yellow cake basically.

jadedlogic Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the links and the explanations! I am going to try the Paula Deens pound cake - I just have another question (sorry) in general when a recipe says to alternate ingredients - ex. PD's is 3 cups flour 1 cup milk and it says to alternate starting with flour and ending with flour - would I pour in half the flour - mix, one cup of milk - mix and then remaining 1.5 cups of flour? I was never sure of this - can you tell I am BRAND new to this?

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 8

I think I did 4 passes. Put in 1/4 of the total flour, pour in some milk, mix, repeat until all gone. So no, don't do half at one time. The batter is very thick, and I think the alternating is so everything gets mixed consistently.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%