Transferring Outline To Cake

Decorating By daydreamer1 Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 5:20pm by CakeMommyTX

daydreamer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daydreamer1 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

I would like to transfer the outline of a picture to my cake and then fill in with a star tip.

I know that I can use piping gel to do this, or the pinprick method but am not a big fan of black piping gel and think the pin thing sounds terribly tedious! In the past I have done a Frozen buttercream transfer to transfer an entire colored image, but this time would like to give the picture a little bit of texture by doing the coloring on the cake. My question is, can I use the same technique to just transfer a black buttercream outline, or will the outline not be heavy enough and end up staying on the vinyl sheet?

Thanks in advance for your help!

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 6

the outline will break...however you can use clear piping gel to transfer the image...you can see it but just barely and then you can go over that with a black buttercream if you want the outlines to stand out, otherwise just fill in with the stars.

daydreamer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daydreamer1 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks! I didn't think of that. I will definitely try clear gel. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 6

Yeah, there is nothing that says it *must* be black gel icon_smile.gif I usually put just a tiny pin prick of blue or other color in the clear gel so I can see it better.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 6

You could use RI to make your outline on parchment (or acetate), let it harden and imprint it on your cake surface, then pipe away!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 6

I do fbct transfers and then pipe accents,outlines and texture onto the fbct once it is on cake .
Here a few examples.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1280242
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1222184

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%