Transferring Outline To Cake

Decorating By daydreamer1 Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 5:20pm by CakeMommyTX

daydreamer1 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

I would like to transfer the outline of a picture to my cake and then fill in with a star tip.

I know that I can use piping gel to do this, or the pinprick method but am not a big fan of black piping gel and think the pin thing sounds terribly tedious! In the past I have done a Frozen buttercream transfer to transfer an entire colored image, but this time would like to give the picture a little bit of texture by doing the coloring on the cake. My question is, can I use the same technique to just transfer a black buttercream outline, or will the outline not be heavy enough and end up staying on the vinyl sheet?

Thanks in advance for your help!

5 replies
KHalstead Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 6

the outline will break...however you can use clear piping gel to transfer the can see it but just barely and then you can go over that with a black buttercream if you want the outlines to stand out, otherwise just fill in with the stars.

daydreamer1 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks! I didn't think of that. I will definitely try clear gel. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 6

Yeah, there is nothing that says it *must* be black gel icon_smile.gif I usually put just a tiny pin prick of blue or other color in the clear gel so I can see it better.

crisseyann Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 6

You could use RI to make your outline on parchment (or acetate), let it harden and imprint it on your cake surface, then pipe away!

CakeMommyTX Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 6

I do fbct transfers and then pipe accents,outlines and texture onto the fbct once it is on cake .
Here a few examples.

Quote by @%username% on %date%