Novice Needs Advice Re: Making Figures For Cake

Decorating By Biddi1979 Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 1:56pm by Meg147

Biddi1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biddi1979 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:24am
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster, not to mention a complete novice at cake decorating.
I've just recently started decorating cakes (mainly for friends & family) and have so far had success with basic designs.
My youngest daughters 1st birthday is in a few weeks and I'm thinking that it's time to challenge myself a little more.
I'm planning on making a #1 shaped cake in the theme of 'In the Night Garden'. I wanted to make an 'Upsy Daisy' figure for the top. I've never attempted a figure and am not even sure what to use.
I've been doing some research, which has confused me even more.
Marzipan, gumpaste, fondant, etc....which is the best to use for figures?
I'm totally lost.....any advice much appreciated.

4 replies
Meg147 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg147 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:47am
post #2 of 5

Hi! I always use gumpaste mixed with a little fondant for these types of figures - it's so easy to work with, without becoming too unmanagable. Add v.small fondant pieces for eyes etc. I'm not a pro, so hang fire - I'm sure you'll get some great tips.

http://www.creativecelebrationcakes.co.uk/page10.htm

The above site has some great tips on modelling faces/limbs - but if you have a good search around you'll get lots of tips.

Good luck & Be sure to post pic - It'll be fab!

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:53am
post #3 of 5

Hey Biddi - I love your opening line! icon_lol.gif I use fondant with tylose powder added for my models. If you've been reading lots you would have heard of Lorraine Mackay, she uses the web name of aine2 both on CC and youtube, look her up she has some great tutorials on figure making! Good Luck!

Biddi1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biddi1979 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 5

Ok, so if I use the Fondant with the tylose powder, how far in advance can I make the figure?

Meg147 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg147 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 5

You can make it now. Just store in a cool dry place until ready to use.
Start it as soon as, that way if you dont like it you can always re-do.
My method requires approx 24-36 hours firming time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%