When Do I Pull A Cake From The Fridge....it's Complicated

Decorating By Reimagining_Confections Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 6:15pm by Reimagining_Confections

Reimagining_Confections Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:33am
post #1 of 4

Hi guys,

Silly question here, maybe I am having a blond moment, but I am hesitant about when to pull a cake from my fridge.

I made a spiced nut cake, torted and filled with a layer of real cheescake(no crust( I baked it in the same size pan, froze it, then popped it out and laid it on a cake layer with a little caramel frosting). I then layed another cake layer on (cream cheese frosting), then a layer of of caramel frosting, then a layer of cake, finally I topped it with a layer of pumpkin pie. Yup I baked a pumpkin pie in the same pan(no crust) froze it, popped it out semi frozen, laid it on top of a thin layer of cream cheese frosting.

After the cake was stacked, i crumb coated it. Popped it in the fridge. Pulled it out after a bit and frosted the whole thing with cream cheese frosting(crusting recipe). I then added a border on top with cream cheese frosting and crusted the sides with toasted chopped pecans. Final touch was a smooth layer of sourcream marshmallow frosting on top.

Looks great, but with all those textures(pie, cheesecake, frosting, sour cream). When do I pull it from the fridge to be served. I am taking it to my husbands work tomorrow to serve for a Thanksgiving party. It is a giant 11x 15inch cake(about 6 inches thick).

It takes about 20 minutes to get to his work and it will sit on the table for about 40 minutes before being cut(there abouts). So it will be out for an hour if I pull it right before I leave. Is that long enough to come to a good room(eating) temp. Will the pie and cheesecake be defrosted enough if it sits in my fridge overnight and is out for an hour? I couldn't defrost it before I layered it (I couldn't have stacked it-would have been too soft). Any thoughts?

Any advice or recommendations are appreciatedicon_smile.gif

3 replies
prterrell Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 4

I think the cheesecake and pie will defrost overnight in the fridge and pulling it out right before you leave will be just perfect.

I'd love to see a pic of this cake once it's been sliced! Those layers/combinations sound insane and inspired! icon_biggrin.gif

auntmamie Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 4

I can't answer your question regarding when to pull the cake, but do you want a taste tester? I'm volunteering icon_biggrin.gif

Reimagining_Confections Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 4

The bummer is, my husband is serving it right now at their office party. I would love to see pictures too(and taste), somehow I doubt I will get any left overs. If not- guess I will just have to make a smaller one again for myself(and family ofcourse- which I consider all my cake central palsicon_smile.gif

Thanks for the answers(that was my instinct too about the overnight defrost), so that is exactly what I did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%