$10?!?!? Huh?? Lol!

Business By three_sets_of_twins Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 5:47pm by Mensch

three_sets_of_twins Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:32am
post #1 of 12

Well I get a call from a potential customer asking for cake ball towers. She wants one for every table at her wedding as a centerpeice.
Apparantly she thinks the sizes I offer are too expensive, so she asks for a smaller one, she says she only wants it to be about 6 inches tall. I said ok fine.
Now keep in mind, this woman has 44 TABLES AT HER WEDDING. Each table sits 12!
So I do the math and quote her, and even told her that will include free delivery (cos it was a large order) and she can swing by any time if she wants to taste some cake balls.

She sms'es me back later that that is waaay to expensive and she thought it should only run her about 10 bucks! Heck that's about what I have to pay for the foam alone! Geez! (I had quoted her $40 each for the tiny size she wanted that would hold about 18-20 cake balls and I thought THAT was a deal!
Something I have to consider also and feel like I should charge a FEE for, is the STRESS and HASSLE of where in my house do I STORE these cake balls and their towers until pick up time! I just have the one freezer/fridge!
If you CANT AFFORD OVER 400 PEOPLE AT YOUR WEDDING, DONT INVITE EVERYONE YOU KNOW ON THE PLANET!!
Or just stick with stuff you can afford!

I also had this woman recently who also invited about 350+ people to her wedding, and seriously was looking for edible favors to pass out for A DOLLAR. Yes, a dollar. When I told her the only thing a dollar would get her from me was a a cake ball decorated but no packaging, and explained to her how they were priced, she goes.."Well dont price them that way,"
But ughhhh then a home caker lady I know agreed to give her 700 cupcakes covered with fondant flowers and buttercream roses and carnations and pearls and what not for a dollar each!!! grrrrrr. I don't get why she agreed to do it for so little. I guess the idea of $700??

I know the economy is affecting everyone, but be realistic. I don't go out to dinner as much as I used to, I dont throw parties as often as I used to. I dont go on shopping sprees anymore. If youre being affected by it then cut down like the rest of us are. Dont expect freebies or hand outs or for people to break their backs for next to nothing!

11 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:35am
post #2 of 12

$1 a cupcake, wow. It's people like that, that makes it harder for the rest of us. And I swear you get the cheapest clients!

Mensch Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:39am
post #3 of 12

I swannee.... we must share the same customers, threesets.

Is she aware, at all, of just how SMALL six inches is? Thise so-called towers are totally going to disappear on the tables.

It is YOUR business, you dictate the prices. Don't let them bully you. You can say no.

three_sets_of_twins Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:50am
post #4 of 12

Yep I do get some cheapies. I think cos on this side of the globe they REALLY dont understand the work involved in this business. However they wont hesitate to go to Godiva or similar shops and spend 200-300 dollars on a tray of chocolates for a party!

And yeah I told her to take out a ruler and measure how long she wanted it to be. She said she didnt care about the height but wanted a tower.

And thanks mensch. Would love to hear your stories. I did say no, and stay firm by my no at all times. I swore to myself a couple months ago that from now on if it's not worth the back pain and stress then it's a big fat no. I was relieved in a way when she never called back. There's an upcoming holiday over here im already getting orders for, and just taking the ones that are worth it since Im going to be extremely busy. I've declined the orders for "10 cake balls" with the standard "sorry I'm fully booked."

madgeowens Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:53am
post #5 of 12

I was going to crack a joke about the six inches, but decided against it hahaha....I would put out the closed sign when I saw that woman coming.

Mensch Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:57am
post #6 of 12

Is it Al-Hijira coming up?

three_sets_of_twins Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:04am
post #7 of 12

[email protected]

Uh No mensch it's something called Eid Al adha. A celebration of when that prophet was told to sacrifice his son, then sacrificed a sheep instead? I think...

Was gonna offer those sheep cake pops by bakerella lol. But those are waaay too much work for me to make hundreds of so I'm just taking normal orders.

cylstrial Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 12

Wow! The lady was wanting all of that for $10? And then the other lady sold her cupcakes for $1 each? People are nuts!!

manahigh Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:58pm
post #9 of 12

Well your "competition" may have agreed to do the 700 cupcakes for $1 each but I'll bet she never takes an order like that again. If she is not a bakery with large ovens and assistants, I cannot imagine how much time its going to take to bake and decorate all those cupcakes. By the time she gets halfway through this process I know she'll be saying "never again".

KHalstead Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:23pm
post #10 of 12

ok.............am I the only one that realized that she's got 44 tables of 12 people???????? That is 528 people!!! This lady has got money or she needs to cut that guest list into quarters!!! That's too many people.

Oh and I would have told her that for $10 for 12 desserts she couldn't even buy everyone a sundae at McDonald's from the dollar menu, let alone a custom designed truffle tower!!!

three_sets_of_twins Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 12

Yep that is one huge wedding! Biggest Ive heard of so far! I didnt even know we had wedding halls that carried that many tables!
And youre right about the mcdonalds thing! Dang now I wish I said that!

Mensch Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:47pm
post #12 of 12

As many @$$hole customers as you seem to have I'm sure you'll have a great opportunity to use that quip in the near future....

icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%