After Tonight I Want A Stand Mixer...dreading Tomorrow

Decorating By keflyn Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 5:44pm by auntmamie

keflyn Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:59am
post #1 of 6

I just made buttercream frosting from "scratch" (don't want to start the debate that ends in ps has cornstarch in it so it's a mix) today out of roughly 8 pounds of ps with an old hand mixer that's probably 6-7 years old.....not fun. I had to make lots of little batches and add them to a big bowl, man that thing is heavy.
tomorrow I make the cake, me and my hand mixer are going to pull through....I hope (I could have sworn I saw a spark from the thing)

5 replies
tracycakes Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:13am
post #2 of 6

Oh honey! You need a stand mixer. I bought my first KitchenAid 20 years ago when I started this as a hobby and it's still going strong. You make any cake of any size, it will be sooooo much easier with a stand mixer.

aquamom Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:15am
post #3 of 6

I made tons of frosting with a hand mixer. I got my first stand mixer this year and I love the thing!!! Is still use a stand mixer for a smaller batches. Best of luck to you.

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:32am
post #4 of 6

What I used to do when I just had the hand mixer was to put my bowl on my turntable, stack up cookbooks to a good height for the mixer, and rest the mixer on the cookbooks, while it turned the bowl on the turntable. You still have to keep a hand on it but it doesn't ache the way it does when you have to hold it up for hours.

sherrycanary62 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 6

Last Christmas my husband bought me a Sunbeam stand mixer. Very reasonable, under a hundred dollars I think....but it sat on the counter never touched from December to this October...when I discovered cake decorating....Sadly it does not come with a whip or paddle attachment (there is not even an option to buy one for this sunbeam model) but I do make buttercream and royal icing with it and it does a great job...oh yes I dream of a KA...sigh....but for now my sunbeam is doing just fine. I tried making mmf in it with the dough hooks ...all I can say is...DON" just didn't work doing that. I think he got mine at Walmart...but if you have a Kmart near you...I think Kmart still offers lay away plans. If they could even LAY AWAY a KA...wish I had one near me

auntmamie Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 6

Keflyn - we have 6 days and (about) 18 hours until the stores open on Black Friday. Do you have $200 to spare? has ads for almost every major store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%