After Tonight I Want A Stand Mixer...dreading Tomorrow

Decorating By keflyn Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 5:44pm by auntmamie

keflyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keflyn Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:59am
post #1 of 6

I just made buttercream frosting from "scratch" (don't want to start the debate that ends in ps has cornstarch in it so it's a mix) today out of roughly 8 pounds of ps with an old hand mixer that's probably 6-7 years old.....not fun. I had to make lots of little batches and add them to a big bowl, man that thing is heavy.
tomorrow I make the cake, me and my hand mixer are going to pull through....I hope (I could have sworn I saw a spark from the thing)

5 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:13am
post #2 of 6

Oh honey! You need a stand mixer. I bought my first KitchenAid 20 years ago when I started this as a hobby and it's still going strong. You make any cake of any size, it will be sooooo much easier with a stand mixer.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:15am
post #3 of 6

I made tons of frosting with a hand mixer. I got my first stand mixer this year and I love the thing!!! Is still use a stand mixer for a smaller batches. Best of luck to you.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:32am
post #4 of 6

What I used to do when I just had the hand mixer was to put my bowl on my turntable, stack up cookbooks to a good height for the mixer, and rest the mixer on the cookbooks, while it turned the bowl on the turntable. You still have to keep a hand on it but it doesn't ache the way it does when you have to hold it up for hours.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 6

Last Christmas my husband bought me a Sunbeam stand mixer. Very reasonable, under a hundred dollars I think....but it sat on the counter never touched from December to this October...when I discovered cake decorating....Sadly it does not come with a whip or paddle attachment (there is not even an option to buy one for this sunbeam model) but I do make buttercream and royal icing with it and it does a great job...oh yes I dream of a KA...sigh....but for now my sunbeam is doing just fine. I tried making mmf in it with the dough hooks ...all I can say is...DON"T....it just didn't work doing that. I think he got mine at Walmart...but if you have a Kmart near you...I think Kmart still offers lay away plans. If they do..you could even LAY AWAY a KA...wish I had one near me

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 6

Keflyn - we have 6 days and (about) 18 hours until the stores open on Black Friday. Do you have $200 to spare? www.blackfriday.info has ads for almost every major store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%