What To Charge?

Decorating By oldhamzoo Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 10:06pm by OfficerMorgan

oldhamzoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oldhamzoo Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:20am
post #1 of 12

I just finished a cake for a baby shower. The baby shower is being thrown by my cousin for her friend. I estimate about $20 in costs ($25 you if you count what I messed up!!). What do I charge? It is suppose to be for about 20 guests. Any help would be appreciated!

11 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:44am
post #2 of 12

You made the cake without working out a price first?

In the future make sure you agree on a price before you make the cake, you don't want to show up, drop off the cake and the customer decide they don't want to pay whatever figure you come up with.

Do you have a pic of the cake?
How many does it serve?
What's the design?
Buttercream or fondant?
Any GP flowers or figures?
Specialty Fillings?
Whats the going rate in your area?

There is alot to consider when you price a cake.
The more info you give the more we can help.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:46am
post #3 of 12

I would say that only you can judge how well you think you did on the cake. I see you are a newbie also. This is what I try to do. I charge by the serving. You are just starting out and still learning...let your customer know that and let them know they are getting a slightly reduced rate that will reflect your inexperience (if you feel your work needs improving). This way they will not be surprised by a price increase as you begin to improve. Always make sure your rate covers the cost of ingredients, supplies (e.g. cake boards, boxes, decorations, etc.), electric, time, and gas if delivering. While you probably won't make a killing just starting out, you don't want to take a loss either. Also, never do cakes for free (unless cake is for a family members), always tell them you'll do it for the cost of ingredients. Once people know they can hit you up for free cake, your doomed. Speaking from personal experience.

oldhamzoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oldhamzoo Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:35am
post #4 of 12

I ended up getting $40 for it. Not bad for my first ever cake to sell. Thanks for the advice! I was clueless. I just wish it would have tasted slightly better. The bottom layer was sort of dry. Oh well, I am still learning. Thanks again for writing posts, it helped alot!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:42am
post #5 of 12

So, you made $15 on this cake, cause your expenses were $25. Don't know how long it took you to make, but I'm sure after labor & utilities, your in the hole.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:29am
post #6 of 12

Not sure how you calculated your costs but some things that are frequently overlooked is anything you already had in your pantry, such as baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla & other flavorings, whatever-you-use-to-grease-your-pans, paper towels, dishsoap, hand soap (yes, everytime you wash your hands, it's an expense .... you wouldn't be using all of that soap if you weren't making a cake), trash bag (if you ran a 'real' business, every trash bag is an expense), gas for your car to go buy the supplies (a COMMONLY overlooked expense!), the KFC you had to order for dinner for the family because you were working on a cake and the kitchen was tied up, etc.

THEN add up the hours spent on the cake ... every minute from taking the order, to buying the supplies, to final clean up. Not just the decorating time, not just the baking/decorating time .... ALL of the time.

YOu say it was suppose to be for about 20 guests. Does this mean it was an 8" 2-layer round (serves 24) or a 9x13 single layer (serves approx 24)? If it was bigger than either of these cakes, it served more than 20.

*IF* you made any profit on this at all, it was WAY less than minimum wage.

Most of us hate the pricing part of this biz.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 12

ALWAYS talk price before you even start...always...

Jen icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 12

The baby bassinet cake is really cute! I'm assuming that's the cake that you sold for $40.

As Jenn said, you should definitely work the price out before you make the cake. That way you aren't just getting $40. You're getting what the cake is actually worth. If they can't afford you, then they can't afford you.

Good luck!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:31pm
post #9 of 12

Mike

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:47pm
post #10 of 12

If it's the bassinet cake- is really cuter and it was worth a whole lot more than $40. Your other cakes are cute too.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 12

Well, if it was for your cousin, only cost you $20, and you didn't work out a price first, you shouldn't charge anything.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:06pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Mike

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%