Mixed Responses On Refrigeration

Decorating By MammaG Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 4:25am by indydebi

MammaG Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:44am
post #1 of 4

I keep getting mixed responses when I ask around my town. I see on all the cake shows that they refrigerate their cakes when complete. I've heard not to do it because it dries it out and to do it because buttercream and fondant melt if not. What is the right answer?

3 replies
indydebi Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:48am
post #2 of 4

I've never refrigerated my cakes. My icing doesn't melt. The only two times I had issues with icing was when I refrigerated my cakes, so I never do anymore.

When I started doing cakes 30 years ago, it just never crossed my mind to refrigerate a cake. I'd never really seen a cake in a refrigerator except in the grocery stores. My aunts, my grandmother, my friends, my relatives .... all of their cakes were always just sitting on the counter.

It just never occured to me there was a need to refrigerate a cake. (I dont' refrigerate my bread, either. Always thought it was weird when I saw people put a loaf of bread in the 'frig! icon_confused.gif )

Cakepro Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:22am
post #3 of 4

The right answer is what works for YOU, not what works for anybody else.

Experience is the BEST guide, so try it! icon_smile.gif

Personally, half of my cakes go in the fridge and half do not. It depends on the cake, the fillings/frosting, the length of time until it is served, etc.

Don't go by what others tell you to do - try it yourself and learn from your experiences. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:25am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

The right answer is what works for YOU, not what works for anybody else.

Experience is the BEST guide, so try it! icon_smile.gif

Personally, half of my cakes go in the fridge and half do not. It depends on the cake, the fillings/frosting, the length of time until it is served, etc.

Don't go by what others tell you to do - try it yourself and learn from your experiences. icon_smile.gif

Excellent advice!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%