Frozen Cake....when To Take It Out Of Freezer??

Decorating By tootsa Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 1:14pm by tootsa

tootsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootsa Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:12am
post #1 of 5

I have some cakes frozen that I need to decorate (tomorrow). When do I remove them from the freezer? Am I already too late?? icon_surprised.gif

Also, do I leave the plastic and foil on or take them off?

Thanks for your help! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:52am
post #2 of 5

That would depend on what time you need to decorate tomorrow. If you are decorating them in the afternoon, I would take them out in the morning and unwrap to prevent the condensation inside the wrapper from soaking into the cake. If you need to decorate in the morning, I would take it out this evening. I am by no means an expert, that is just what I would do. I have some in the freezer for early Saturday afternoon, and I plan on taking mine out early tomorrow afternoon for decorating tomorrow evening.

*editted to add- after the cakes are thawed you may want to rewrap to keep them from getting dried out. Not a problem though if you are planning on putting on your icing or fondant.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:11am
post #3 of 5

Leave your cakes wrapped while they thaw out! Condensation forms as the temperature changes. The condensation will form on the wrapping instead of on your cake. When i need to decorate in the evening - i take out over lunch break, when i decorate in the morning- take out before bed.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:43am
post #4 of 5

cakes thaw in minutes ... they dont' take all day, like a pound of hamburger. I start working with mine after they've been sitting out and thawing for about 20-30 minutes. Sometimes, I'll take (for example) the 10" and 8" out of the freezer. In 20 minutes, I'll start filling and crumb coating the 8". THen I'll move to the 10". Before I start the 10", I'll take the 6" out of the freezer. By the time I'm done with the 10", the 6" is thawed enough to be crumb coated.

I've removed cake samples from the freezer 30 minutes before a consultation ...... by the time the bride arrived, everything was thawed and presentable to her!

tootsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootsa Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate you responding...it's been a big help!

Wish me luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%