Nfsc - Uh Oh?

Baking By Caike Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 12:07am by MJoycake

Caike Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 6

Hey All,

Quick question - I think I may have ****** up my recipe (no fail, who knew). I was trying to hurry and threw the butter in the microwave - well it really broke down - which made making the recipe a dream. It also made pushing the dough out a dream (when you push it out on the parchment before you put it into the fridge). I'm worried it won't solidify enough in the fridge to cut. It was pretty easy to push out (as in I had to push it and not roll it - I did this using another piece of parchment on top of the dough and just pressed the roller up and down the sheet - which is amazing if it works, but will really upset me if it all messes up). None the less - anybody had this issue before? Is my recipe ruined and do I have to start over? It's an RI repeat of the cookies I did before however I never had this issue the first time. Will it become more solid in the fridge? Enough so to cut? I wanted to do thank you cookies for my new workplace for tomorrow and if I don't have the RI on and drying by 8:00PM I'm facked and won't be able to wrap them tomorrow morning super early.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... go easy, I spent a lot of time on this last night and tonight. *Sigh*

I hope I haven't ruined it. icon_cry.gif

C

5 replies
Caike Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 6

Well this was a disaster...LOL. Not that anyone replied, but if you melt the butter too much - throw two new sticks in the batch and move on. I baked the first batch as the dough melted more into batter on the counter. The bottoms browned within two minutes, and the whole thing fell apart when I went to pick it up.

Sigh. Messy kitchen, no cookies. What a pain in the ass. And worst of all, no cookies to take in tomorrow. icon_sad.gif Again though - who knew you could mess up no fail... LOL.... That's what happens when you try to rush!

Next time! thumbs_up.gif

DianeLM Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 6

Sorry that happened to you!

In the future, if you need your butter fast, shave it into your mixing bowl with a vegetable peeler or just cut it into tiny pieces. Then, let the mixer soften it up before you add your sugar.

indydebi Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 6

I always soften my butter in the microwave. No problems. I dont' melt it completely, of course, just enough so that it's kinda soft when I pick it up.

newmansmom2004 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 6

That's interesting that the cookies failed. I have a chocolate chip recipe that requires using melted butter and they bake up big and beautiful and have never failed me. I would have guessed your sugar cookie dough would have set up in the fridge as butter re-solidifies unless it's been clarified.

MJoycake Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:07am
post #6 of 6

Yes, if I need soft butter and haven't let any sit out, I use my box grater to grate it - leave it sitting on a plate for a couple minutes that way and it softens in a jiffy. I'm sorry you had that problem - it's so frustrating when you spend so much time on something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%