Need Vanilla Filling Recipe - But Not Buttercream

Baking By 1456 Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 2:10pm by floral1210

1456 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1456 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 10

I have a carebear cake to make for a lady for her daughter that wants
vanilla cake with vanilla filling and topped with vanilla buttercream, she said she does not want vanilla buttercream to be the filling so i am kinda stumped
the only thing I can think of is a cooked vanilla pudding.
but I have never tried this and was wondering if some other cc had any ideas or recipes that might work , this cake is quite important because she wants her wedding cake to be the same, next july
please any suggestions will be greatly appreiated

9 replies
pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 10

What about the twinkie filling? I've used the cooked flour/milk icing for filling also - sometimes just adding some marshmellow cream to it too. You could use almost anything for filling.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 10

Strawberry preserves or strawberry cream filling is my favorite with vanilla cake.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 10

I have done vanilla custard filling (like a pudding that you mention), topped with fresh sliced strawberries and bananas. (It's my brother's favorite filling!) You would just need to make sure your dam is strong enough to support the softer filling. Best wishes with this, as I realize it will bring you more business in the coming year! icon_smile.gif

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 10

Sounds like this may be a good time to use a vanilla pastry cream, which is a lot thicker than a pudding.

Try to Google it. Sorry, but I don't have a recipe for it.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 10

A nice filling that seems to be popular with my consumers is a box of vanilla pudding and whipping cream. It is like a mousse type filling, and tasts delicious. You can use any flavor pudding, as well. I think if you check this site for Chocolate Mousse fillings, you'll find it there.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by floral1210

A nice filling that seems to be popular with my consumers is a box of vanilla pudding and whipping cream. It is like a mousse type filling, and tasts delicious. You can use any flavor pudding, as well. I think if you check this site for Chocolate Mousse fillings, you'll find it there.

I use this all the time and it's delicious. Just mix a box of instant vanilla or french vanilla pudding with heavy cream instead of milk. Mix it until it thickens - it doesn't take long. It makes a very delicious filling and with all of the different pudding flavors available, you don't have to stop at vanilla!

1456 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1456 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 10

thank you for all your help I think I will try the pastry cream filling and the pudding whipped cream method and see which one turns out better

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 10

If you find a good pastry cream recipe I'd love to have a copy!

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 10

1456...Let us know what you think of both of them...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%