Just Need To Vent!

Lounge By chinadoll652003 Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm by LaBellaFlor

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 17

Does anyone else get upset when your idea is taken and you don't even get a thank you or a mention that it was someone else's original idea? I have been very lucky that two of my cakes have now appeared on the most saved list. I think it's great that others think my work is worth saving and a compliment that someone would use my idea but when someone takes your idea and can not even say thank you it tends to upset me. I have used several people's ideas on here and although I may not know their names I always say thank you or that I have used ideas from other people on CC for inspiration.
Not being ungrateful or trying to sound snotty or make anybody angry just a lousy day and venting. Thanks for listening.

16 replies
Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 17

I totally agree with you. If I have ever made a cake and gotten the idea for it from someone else, I have always tried to remember to say I got the inspiration from someone else. Sorry you are having a bad day. Hope it gets better.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 17

Nope. Doesn't bother me at all. I dont' know who the first person was to wrap a ribbon around a cake, or to put dots on a wedding cake instead of ornate piping, but I'm sure whoever thought of it was not the only person to think of it.

Take the compliment that your cake was pretty enough that someone wanted to duplicate it and move on.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:31am
post #4 of 17

Sweet Jesus, get over yourself.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:58am
post #5 of 17

Mimicing is the greatest form of compliment you could recieve. You should be very flattered that someone likes your work well enough to want to reproduce it. That's what this website is all about. Helping and sharing. A thank you is always nice, I agree with you there, but usually people are just browsing for ideas. This is why there are so many cakes that have been viewed so many times and have no comments. I personally have one cake that has been viewed nearly 1000 times, but has few comments. I don't take it personal, because often I am just browzing as well and don't take the time to leave comments. I would also like to say congrats on having 2 cakes in the most saved category.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 17

Okay, so I'm looking at your pics. and most of your stuff is very general designs and Wilton's based. I'm sure you understand a lot of people do similiar things.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 17

While I think thank you sare nice I really don't think it is the end of the world if someone doesn't say thank you.

I also agree with Indy, unless it is a totally orginal idea, how do you know they didn't see another cake or gasp, come up with something simalar on their own? I've heard of people that thought they finally came up with something orginal only to find out it had already been done.

To me if you don't want a cake you have done copied then you shouldn't post it on the internet. Once it is online anyone can copy it.

indydebi Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I've heard of people that thought they finally came up with something orginal only to find out it had already been done.

My husband does stand up comedy. One night, he came downstairs after spending 2-3 hours working on a new bit for his act. He came down and gave me the reader's digest version. I said, "It was funnier when Seinfeld did it."

Hubby said, "WHAT!!!! No way! I just spent 3 hours writing this!" Now, he NEVER watches Seinfeld, so it's not really probable that he picked up on the idea subconsciously or anything.

Just some ideas are so common that they're not unique.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadoll652003

Does anyone else get upset when your idea is taken and you don't even get a thank you or a mention that it was someone else's original idea? I have been very lucky that two of my cakes have now appeared on the most saved list. I think it's great that others think my work is worth saving and a compliment that someone would use my idea but when someone takes your idea and can not even say thank you it tends to upset me. I have used several people's ideas on here and although I may not know their names I always say thank you or that I have used ideas from other people on CC for inspiration.
Not being ungrateful or trying to sound snotty or make anybody angry just a lousy day and venting. Thanks for listening

I'm for any and all post that gets Menschkins praying to God!!! icon_biggrin.gif

However--when one takes a stand ---and I do believe in taking a stand-- one of necessity will rankle others who make other choices.

So this idea of saying your peace then retreating behind the don't hurt me I had a bad day defense is unrealistic/childish--I'm not throwing stones here but I mean you gotta finally decide. You wanna raise a raucous or not.

It's a snowball fight where you get to lob one but you declarie that nobody else can.

I hate that in other posts too--not just yours. icon_biggrin.gif
Don't hate me icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

I'm for any and all post that gets Menschkins praying to God!!! icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Good one! Mensch, she's got ya there! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Good one! Mensch, she's got ya there! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I know, right! That was hilarious!

Mensch Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:22pm
post #12 of 17

Jesus is a false messiah.

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:25pm
post #13 of 17

...but you called on Him. icon_razz.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:33pm
post #14 of 17

It's ok, Menschkins, just teasing yah.
Dude, you open the door that wide, kwim.

icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:34pm
post #15 of 17

Ruh roh....poor Jesus. He is so misunderstood. Jesus! Save yourself from your people!

Mensch Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:57pm
post #16 of 17

hahaha... Jamie you rock,

Nope labellaflor, I called on no one, I merely said the name Jesus. I used to bartend at the Hilton. One of the dishwashers was named Jesus (the other was named Elvis, BTW).

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

hahaha... Jamie you rock,

Nope labellaflor, I called on no one, I merely said the name Jesus. I used to bartend at the Hilton. One of the dishwashers was named Jesus (the other was named Elvis, BTW).

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!! My husband always ask, "What's up with you Mexicans naming your kids Jesus?" The one named Elvis...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%