Silver Fondant?

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 12:30pm by mommabuda

mommabuda Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a purse cake and need to make all of the hardware silver color. I painted with Wilton's silver dust (it's all I have - no time to order new stuff!) but it's just looking like white fondant with sugar on it. Will it look better if I would color the fondant gray first and then put this stuff on it? I thought if I mixed it with vodka, it would like a shiny paint but it's not.

5 replies
KKristy Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry that Wilton dust is useless - I found out the hard way too, LOL.
Since you don't have time to order real silver dust or silver coloring, gray colored fondant is probably the next best thing. Good Luck

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 6

It will look more like silver if you start with gray fondant.

I did this one with gray fondant and a whole vial of Wilton's silver dust: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1363036

jobueno Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, it's easier to start with gray fondant and then paint over it. You use less color and the silver color looks great. I would however use Nu Silver luster dust to get the best result. HTH

AmandaGudi Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 6

I started with grey fondant and painted on a mixture of wiltons silver dust and lemon extract and i loved it! It's in my photos if you want to see!

mommabuda Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you everyone... I ended up cheating a bit... lol... since it was a fake cake anyways, I used my husband's paint pen and colored the hardware silver... I'll definitely order some luster dust up for sure now though. Ugh, Wilton=useless!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%