Rerally Confused ... A Pricing Question.

Decorating By kakbiz Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 7:06pm by cylstrial

kakbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakbiz Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 2

I have had a lot of request for cakes lately. Up until this point I have only made cakes for family friends and didn't charge. I have really been considering doing cakes on the side for some extra cash. A friend of mine owns a restaurant and said I can use there kitchen after hours anytime I want NO CHARGE YEAH, but I have no idea how to price my cakes. So my question is what do you charge for sheet cakes, sculpted cakes and tiered cakes. I just made my daughter and her friend each a 3 tier cake (12", 10"and 6")for their joint 13th birthday party. I did not charge my daughter's friend because she is like a daughter to me. Now I have had several requests from their friends for cakes in the future, but not sure how to charge by the slice or some other way. I live in a small town and not sure what people would be willing to pay, but also don't want to undercharge. THANKS.

1 reply
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 2

Congrats! That's awesome!

First - you should call the other local custom cake stores and find out how much they charge for everything. Then you should sit down and figure out what to charge. It's really hard to just give a base price because someone in PA sells their a basic slice of buttercream for $6.00. And then people in other states might only charge $2.00 a slice for the buttercream.

You should also add up all of your ingredients and see how much it costs you to make everything. Don't forget water, electricity, the time you spent.

Hope this will give you some direction.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%