Best Fondant????

Decorating By surfergirl67 Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 3:31pm by surfergirl67

surfergirl67  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergirl67 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 19

I'm trying out fondants. What fondant do you recommend and why? Please don't recommend ChocoPan... it is aweful to work with ( I scream I hate it everytime I work with it... LOL)

18 replies
 Debbie_Satin2010  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie_Satin2010 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 19

I Love Satin Ice fondant. They have a great range of colors. It is very easy to work with and it cost less than other brands out there and it tastes great imo. thumbs_up.gif

surfergirl67 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 19

Thank you, so far I prefer Satin Ice too! icon_smile.gif

mommakristin  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 19

I make my own fondant using the MMF fondant recipe found on here. It does take a little elbow work but it tastes great and it can be colored whatever color you want.

surfergirl67 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks Kristin...

Sweet_Guys  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:42am
post #6 of 19

We use Fondarific and Satin Ice.

Paul

khoudek  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:08am
post #7 of 19

My favorite MMF is Rhonda's Ultimate, recipe is on CC. Or I use Satin Ice. Often I mix the two together. Yummy!

surfergirl67 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 19

Thank you Paul! I saw the fondarific last night at the supply store and she told me she has a woman who drives an hour just to get the fondarific. How is the taste? That is the one thing I actually do like about the ChocoPan, the taste.

surfergirl67 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 19

Thank you Karen! I may try making that this weekend just to play with it and see how it works. How does it work for sculpted cakes?

anamado  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommakristin

I make my own fondant using the MMF fondant recipe found on here. It does take a little elbow work but it tastes great and it can be colored whatever color you want.

Me too I love MMF. icon_smile.gif But I make it on my stand mixer. Very easy and done in a few minutes!

I make everything with it: covering, modeling figures and accents! LOVE it!

SandiOh  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:08pm
post #11 of 19

I like MMF for decorations, but to roll on a cake I like Fondariffic...so yummy.
I use wilton to do my boards. I usually buy a big box of it with my Michaels coupon.

jmr531  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 19

I've had too many problems with Satin Ice so I no longer use it. I absolutely love Albert Uster rolled fondant. It is so easy to work with, but it is a bit expensive. It is totally worth it to me though since it is very easy to roll out, it goes on very smooth, and I never have any problems with cracking.

http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/2_ROLLEDFONDANT/Rolled+Fondant.html

Sweet_Guys  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:26pm
post #13 of 19

We love the taste, and so do our clients...For cake covering, we'd recommend the vanilla, buttercream, or the chocolate. The van & the butter can be purchased pre-colored in many of the standard primary/secondary shades and black. For the fruit flavorings, we'd recommend either for a kid's party, covering cupcakes, or for decorations. However, we read a post saying the melon (a pale green) is good as a cake covering. We recently tried it and it had a pleasant melon taste that wasn't too strong.

Paul

Rylan  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:26am
post #14 of 19

I use Fondx and Satin Ice. I suggest you check out Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade recipe. It works and tastes great.

khoudek  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:35am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl67

Thank you Karen! I may try making that this weekend just to play with it and see how it works. How does it work for sculpted cakes?

It works fine. I'll use it 50/50 or all MMF or all Satin Ice. One thing I've found with sculpted cakes is that what is important is fresh fondant. I make it the day before I use it, let it set overnight and no longer. But, that's just me and how I find it works best for me.

surfergirl67 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:22pm
post #16 of 19

Thank you Anamondo, Sandi, and JMR. icon_smile.gif

surfergirl67 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:23pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks again Paul. My only issue with it is that it has a warning about nuts so I need to be careful with it.

surfergirl67 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:24pm
post #18 of 19

Thank you Rylan. Which one is Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade recipe?

surfergirl67 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:31pm
post #19 of 19

Thank you again Karen. I didn't make it over the weekend, but I would like to try it out on Wednesday. Do you suggest I make it tonight or Tues night? I will be making a wine bottle in a crate, so I'll need the sides of the crate to be a bit harder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%