Best Fondant????

Decorating By surfergirl67 Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 3:31pm by surfergirl67

surfergirl67 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 19

I'm trying out fondants. What fondant do you recommend and why? Please don't recommend ChocoPan... it is aweful to work with ( I scream I hate it everytime I work with it... LOL)

18 replies
Debbie_Satin2010 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 19

I Love Satin Ice fondant. They have a great range of colors. It is very easy to work with and it cost less than other brands out there and it tastes great imo. thumbs_up.gif

surfergirl67 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 19

Thank you, so far I prefer Satin Ice too! icon_smile.gif

mommakristin Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 19

I make my own fondant using the MMF fondant recipe found on here. It does take a little elbow work but it tastes great and it can be colored whatever color you want.

surfergirl67 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks Kristin...

Sweet_Guys Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:42am
post #6 of 19

We use Fondarific and Satin Ice.

Paul

khoudek Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:08am
post #7 of 19

My favorite MMF is Rhonda's Ultimate, recipe is on CC. Or I use Satin Ice. Often I mix the two together. Yummy!

surfergirl67 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 19

Thank you Paul! I saw the fondarific last night at the supply store and she told me she has a woman who drives an hour just to get the fondarific. How is the taste? That is the one thing I actually do like about the ChocoPan, the taste.

surfergirl67 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 19

Thank you Karen! I may try making that this weekend just to play with it and see how it works. How does it work for sculpted cakes?

anamado Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommakristin

I make my own fondant using the MMF fondant recipe found on here. It does take a little elbow work but it tastes great and it can be colored whatever color you want.

Me too I love MMF. icon_smile.gif But I make it on my stand mixer. Very easy and done in a few minutes!

I make everything with it: covering, modeling figures and accents! LOVE it!

SandiOh Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:08pm
post #11 of 19

I like MMF for decorations, but to roll on a cake I like Fondariffic...so yummy.
I use wilton to do my boards. I usually buy a big box of it with my Michaels coupon.

jmr531 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 19

I've had too many problems with Satin Ice so I no longer use it. I absolutely love Albert Uster rolled fondant. It is so easy to work with, but it is a bit expensive. It is totally worth it to me though since it is very easy to roll out, it goes on very smooth, and I never have any problems with cracking.

http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/2_ROLLEDFONDANT/Rolled+Fondant.html

Sweet_Guys Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:26pm
post #13 of 19

We love the taste, and so do our clients...For cake covering, we'd recommend the vanilla, buttercream, or the chocolate. The van & the butter can be purchased pre-colored in many of the standard primary/secondary shades and black. For the fruit flavorings, we'd recommend either for a kid's party, covering cupcakes, or for decorations. However, we read a post saying the melon (a pale green) is good as a cake covering. We recently tried it and it had a pleasant melon taste that wasn't too strong.

Paul

Rylan Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:26am
post #14 of 19

I use Fondx and Satin Ice. I suggest you check out Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade recipe. It works and tastes great.

khoudek Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 3:35am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl67

Thank you Karen! I may try making that this weekend just to play with it and see how it works. How does it work for sculpted cakes?

It works fine. I'll use it 50/50 or all MMF or all Satin Ice. One thing I've found with sculpted cakes is that what is important is fresh fondant. I make it the day before I use it, let it set overnight and no longer. But, that's just me and how I find it works best for me.

surfergirl67 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:22pm
post #16 of 19

Thank you Anamondo, Sandi, and JMR. icon_smile.gif

surfergirl67 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:23pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks again Paul. My only issue with it is that it has a warning about nuts so I need to be careful with it.

surfergirl67 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:24pm
post #18 of 19

Thank you Rylan. Which one is Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade recipe?

surfergirl67 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:31pm
post #19 of 19

Thank you again Karen. I didn't make it over the weekend, but I would like to try it out on Wednesday. Do you suggest I make it tonight or Tues night? I will be making a wine bottle in a crate, so I'll need the sides of the crate to be a bit harder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%