Dumb Question About Bake Even Strips

Decorating By SandiOh Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 1:23am by akgirl10

SandiOh Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 7

so I tried them just now for the first time...I used a 10 inch round with a flower nail and the strips...the cake is not very brown, and much more delicate than normally....is that normal? even dumber question, is that desirable?

6 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 7

I've used bake even strips before, never a flower nail, I don't recall the cake being less brown. I think the desirable part would be up to you. Do you like that texture? Can you work with it? The only way I know for sure it would be a problem in general is if you are going to use the cake for carving. Delicate is never good for that IMO.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 7

I think it does impart a lot more moisture into my cakes. I've been baking at 350 lately without the strips and then backing the heat off at the end of the bake so that the built up heat and the residual heat can finish baking the middle without frying the edges--my baking strategies evolve--that's where I'm at right now. I really do like the 350 degrees better though.

And near the end of the bake I also tent a pice of aluminum foil over the cake and leave it there after it is removed from the oven.

Everybody does it different.

ShelleyMJ Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 7

Neat tips K8. I think I will try them. I have never used the strips. I use the flower nails alot.

So is the cake done on the inside? Did you cut into it?

Great questions! Remember the only dumb question is the one not asked! I am amazed at how much I learn just by reading the forums.

SandiOh Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 7

they are done on the inside....the thing is, I like to bake 3 shorter layers, so I don't have to torte the cake....so not much batter in pan (maybe 1/4 full), nail and strips might've been overkill....definitely can see it being useful for over 12 inches.

denetteb Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:19am
post #6 of 7

I have homemade strips, made from a doubled old terry towel strip. When I first was using them I left them fairly wet, just stripped the water off enough that it didn't drip. I found the outside edge wasn't baking so would take the strips off for the last 5 or 10 minutes. Eventually I wrung/wrang (??) the water out completely and they baked all the way to the edge a perfect amount with no dome (I also use a flower nail). This is a long way to suggest maybe there was too much water left in the strips? Just a thought.

akgirl10 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:23am
post #7 of 7

I don't think you would need a flower nail for such thin layers. I use wet towels too, and bake usually at 340. I don't think my cakes get any less brown from the strips though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%