Question About Classes Vs. Videos

Decorating By crazykid28 Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 12:12am by cylstrial

crazykid28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazykid28 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 14

I have a question. I am debating on either 1) taking the Wilton classes or 2) buying the SugarEd videos (probably the Buttercream, Fondant, Boxes & Bows, and Topsy Turvy DVD's).

I like the idea of the classes because I could get a certificate saying that I had completed them, but I like the idea of the video because then I could work from home around my already busy schedule. So here's my question:

Which one do you think that I would learn more from? I would like to get some opinions pretty soon icon_smile.gif.

-Cynthia

13 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 14

Personally, I don't see the importance of a certificate from a Wilton's class, but, if you can, do both. There is ntohing wrong with getting hands on skills as well as watch the visoes. They both are different teaching methods & you will benefit from both of them.

crazykid28 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Personally, I don't see the importance of a certificate from a Wilton's class, but, if you can, do both. There is ntohing wrong with getting hands on skills as well as watch the visoes. They both are different teaching methods & you will benefit from both of them.

Thanks for your opinion. The only reason that I would want the certificates is to 1) show to a possible employer that I have gone through the Wilton courses and 2) to possibly teach Wilton courses later on.

Right now, it's kind of an either/or situation. I can do one now and the other later, but I'm just wondering which one would be best to do now icon_smile.gif.

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 14

Well another thing to consider is how do you learn best. My favorite is to be able to read insturctions & that is how I've pretty much learned everything. The best scenario for someone like me is to have a book, watch someone, and be able to watch questions wile I'm watching. BUT I wouldn't want to hear instructions from them, just watch them & if I have questions, then be able to ask. That's just me. Figure out what works best for you.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 14

You are comparing two things that are completely different. The wilton classes are a basic hands on class to learn the beginnings of cake decorating - helping you learn the BASICS. The certificate you get is just that - it say you took the courses (you are not "certified")

Sharon's DVD's are excellent - she is very detail oriented. I love them. They are pricier than the classes, but worth every penny. You can go to them and watch them over and over if you so choose.

I am a wilton instructor - if you have no expereince with decorating, I suggest you start with the classes, and then purchse the DVD's as you go along. I have all of Sharon's and some others too - I have learned something from each of them.....but I would have been lost if I had not had the basics to begin with.

Just my opinion!

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 14

And Loucinda would know better then me about Wilton's courses for sure. Plus, look at her pics. You see she can decorate her booty off.

crazykid28 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

You are comparing...Just my opinion!

Thanks so much for your detailed response! I'm not just starting out, but I'm definitely not an expert by any means. I'm really looking to just refine my skills and get better and better. I guess that a HUGE plus of the videos is that you can watch them over and over! Which ones do you recommend?

Loucinda Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 14

IMO - I would get the buttercream one first. I think it is important for any decorator to be able to ice a cake smoothly and professionally with buttercream -then move on to fondant (since you need a relatively smooth icing to use UNDER the fondant!)

If you are into doing the cakes that will be stacked, then get that one. The next one I would get is the fondant one, after that it really just would be whatever interests you. They are all very informative.

Jennifer MI has some out too that I really like, I can't tell you which of them is my favorties, because I love them all. I have learned something from each and every video I have purchased.

(and thank you LaBellaFlor for the nice comments!) icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 14

I don't think there is a clear "winner' to pick.

Like Bella said is depends on your learning style and if you can just watch and pick things up quickly or if you really need the hands on correction from a teacher.

It also depends on the teacher, her skill set and teaching style. Some are just born teachers and have the skills, while others are not as organized as even they would like and it is harder to learn from them.

I would do both if I could. But I would find out who the teacher is or maybe loiter around the tail end of a class to see how things are going. Then when the WI ends class and clean up begins , I would go in and introduce yourself and say you are thinking about signing up for the next session of classes and see how that conversation goes.

A great teacher is priceless! And a good point to the DVDs are pause, rewind, replay again and again...LOL

Loucinda Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 14

Sadsmile is right too - hey, come to Ohio!! You can take my classes! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

I was lucky to have a very good instructor, and I try really hard to be one to my students too.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:43pm
post #11 of 14

I'm going to agree with what the other said. I like Loucinda am a Wilton Instructor. The certificate, while nice to have, means that you took the classes. You aren't graded, everyone that shows up the last night gets it. As a side note, while we instructors are trained, we are not certified either.

Your two items are like comparing apples to oranges. I haven't see the DVD's but have heard nothing but great things about them. The thing for me is that there are time when I like having that hands on help. When I took the Wilton courses years ago, I liked having that person there to tell me to hold my bag this way and to suggest an easier way to do something. Wilton is great basics, plus it is just fun to take a class with a group of people that are interested in the same thing. Alot of my students are SAHMs that enjoy their weekly night out and are sad when they finish the courses. One of my current students says the class is stress relief for her, of course she is an a great group and a night hasn't pasted in the last 4 months that we weren't all laughing about something. So not only do you get hands on from someone that can help show you things you get a great (hopefully) experince to go with it.

That said I have many books, have watched many a demo at the ICES conventions and have read lots of information online all related to cake and have learned alot of things that way as well. I don't think one is better than the other, as I have learned completly different things from each.

I think once you have the basics you can learn almost anything. icon_smile.gif

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:09pm
post #12 of 14

I'm also a Wilton instructor and agree with Loucinda. When first starting out it is nice to have the physical presences of the instructor. I also give private instruction to people who have problems with certain decorating areas and just need a little one on one for that particular thing. I've been decorating cakes for nearly 30 years and still try to take classes myself. I like being able to pick someone's brain and get their feedback. That said, I have a lot of DVD and videos that I use for learning. The nice things about those are they are great references and I can review them at my convenience. So if you're busy those are great. I guess only you can know what your learn style is and how you'd fit classes into your busy life. Either way though I think you'll learn a lot.

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:11pm
post #13 of 14

And that is very true. Doesn't matter how long you've been decorating, you will always want to take classes to learn something new or to improve soemthing you all ready know.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:12am
post #14 of 14

I also think you should take the Wilton classes and then buy the video's! There is always MORE to learn!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%