Breastfeeding Cake Ideas?

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 12:38pm by Angelfire3

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 13

My doctor just called me to make a cake for their clinic & the hospital (2 separate cakes) to celebrate the fact that they reached the quota for their breastfeeding awareness period. He doesn't care what flavors, size, anything... even when I do it is up to me! What should I do? He said the nurses have a pretty good sense of humor too so anything will do. ??? I really have NO idea where to even begin! HELP!

12 replies
Steelgoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steelgoddess Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 13

I used to post on a pregnancy forum and alot of them used to call breastfeeding the Breastaurant... Maybe you could base your cake around that, have it as a cafe but with looks of mothers breastfeeding or something on top?

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 13

I once made a bunch of cupcakes that looked like breasts. This probably doesn't help, but that's what came to me...a flashback to a whole box of boobies!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 13

There may be something in here that would help:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-617662-0.html

wyovol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyovol Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 13

There is an international breastfeeding symbol.

http://www.breastfeedingsymbol.org/

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 13

My Aunt calls it Cafe Boobay!

Here's an idea that popped into my head: Start with a cake like the pregnant belly cakes, sans belly, so basically a simple (matronly?) torso with boobs. Shirt please. icon_smile.gif Then you could do a chubby baby lying tummy down on the torso, head resting contentedly on the boobs and arms (complete with breastfed baby rubber-band wrists!) around mommy's waist.

One of the greatest perks to breastfeeding, besides nutrition, is the deep mother-child bond that develops from all that snuggly skin contact. Hope this helps!

mommabuda Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 13

hmmm, thank you for the suggestions. I think I'm going to have to do something with boobs... I just can't get away without doing that. I like the Breastasaurus idea but it's not like a weening cake, it's to promote it. I wish I could have a baby nursing but that would be so difficult to do... especially 2 of them. hmmm... any more ideas would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 13

A way to get around using boobs: doing something that illustrates a baby that has no clue what to do/ how to use a bottle.

Or something kinda weird: Because my son is breastfed he is extra curious about nipples. My husband has to keep a shirt on or the kid will try and pinch them clean off! You could try and pull from this with a baby investigating an object
that resembles a nipple.

Or you could to some rendition of "Got Milk?"

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:44am
post #10 of 13

As an unofficial breastfeeding "expert" ( breastfed each of my 4 kids for between 14 mos and 3.5 yrs each! ) and a Le Leche League member,
I have owned / seen some of the most clever breastfeeding advocacy designs around!
here are a few Ideas:

~ a 3-D "gift box" with the lid open a little bit, with wire spray coming out and on each one, various sized hearts..
and the message
"Breastfeeding is The Gift of Love that Lasts a Lifetime! "

~a baby (cartoon'ish and cutesy)
either 3-D or not, with the message :
"Thanks, Mom, for Breastfeeding me! "

~ A cake with a cow print on it and a 3-D baby on top that says "Breastmilk is BETTER than ANY UDDER!"

~ A fun one with a Momma in a superhero costume holding a baby and have it say "I make milk... Whats YOUR Superpower?"

(I could prolly think of more, but right now i have some fondant to kneed! so I might chime in later and add a few extra.. lol )

Angelfire3 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:23pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD

As an unofficial breastfeeding "expert" ( breastfed each of my 4 kids for between 14 mos and 3.5 yrs each! ) and a Le Leche League member,
I have owned / seen some of the most clever breastfeeding advocacy designs around!
here are a few Ideas:

~ a 3-D "gift box" with the lid open a little bit, with wire spray coming out and on each one, various sized hearts..
and the message
"Breastfeeding is The Gift of Love that Lasts a Lifetime! "

~a baby (cartoon'ish and cutesy)
either 3-D or not, with the message :
"Thanks, Mom, for Breastfeeding me! "

LOVE THESE IDEAS!

~ A cake with a cow print on it and a 3-D baby on top that says "Breastmilk is BETTER than ANY UDDER!"

~ A fun one with a Momma in a superhero costume holding a baby and have it say "I make milk... Whats YOUR Superpower?"

(I could prolly think of more, but right now i have some fondant to kneed! so I might chime in later and add a few extra.. lol )

mommabuda Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:31pm
post #12 of 13

I love the cow print idea! Very clever! I am all for BFing as well... I did with both of my children and would plan to with anymore (if we ever have that blessing again!) Thank you!

Angelfire3 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:38pm
post #13 of 13

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%