What Do You Do / How Do You Do It??

Decorating By Meg147 Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 12:58am by peg818

Meg147 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 12

We must bake differently in the UK to the US - (or maybe I just bake differently to everyone!) the cakes I see on this site seem to be massive i.e. 4/5 layers high and v.wide? How do you do that, if you have to make loads of cakes - say, diff sizes - would you whip up all the mixture at once and seperate between your cake pans, or whip & bake them seperatley? I only have a v.small oven, and at best can fit 2 x 7" rounds on the top shelf! Plus, I always bake each cake seperately - I'm sure you kind folks must have some shortcuts you can share with me, or simply tell me where I'm going wrong! As the actual baking of cakes (which I do from scratch) seems to take me forever! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
sadsmile Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 12

Yes and No. We put our pants one one leg at a time but we are really into instant gratification icon_wink.gif So we will shove as many pans into our oven as we can at one time. icon_lol.gif It really does take a lot of mixing/baking to make even a two layered cake. That's why they cost dear.

I have the standard size oven and the rack is about 23" by 18" which is 59cm X 46cm and I have two racks. I usually only use one rack for good circulation around the pans. But I can stick two 6" pans and two 8" or 9" pans in there at once. I could not imagine baking each one separately and wasting all that time and electricity.

leah_s Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 12

I do have two ovens, one convection. The smaller of the two will still hold a half size pan (18 X 12). In te convection I can load up at least two racks, sometimes if I'm brave three racks, so there's lots of baking going on at once. The larger oven is regular gas, so I only bake one rack at a time and the bigger layers (15" and up) go in that oven. But yes, I compute how many cups of, for example, white batter I'm going to need and mix up as much as possible in the 20 Qt Hobart. My white cake recipe begins with, 6 pounds of sugar . . . You *can* hold batter for subsequent baking.

jobueno Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 12

I just bought a new stove with a very nice oven (convection/conventional). My oven is quite large and I can fit 3 half sheets with no problem as well two 8 inch rounds and two 6 inch pans. icon_lol.gif I'm just thrilled my old stove died.

cabecakes Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:16am
post #5 of 12

I can fit a fit an 8,10, and 12" on top rack of my oven, but I usually don't use the bottom rack when baking cakes.

madgeowens Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:32am
post #6 of 12

I have a wall oven and an oven in my stove. However I don't always use both. I use top and bottom rack with no problems at all. If you don't have enough room then you just bake in turn until you have them all icon_smile.gif I make double batch of batter and simply pour amount necessary in each pan. HTH

cakesbymindysue Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:28am
post #7 of 12

Having lived in the UK for 6 years and now back in the US, I can tell you I do NOT miss my oven from there! I had to buy all new cookie sheets and casserole dishes to fit into the oven I had in our house, the ones I had were too big. Most of the people that I knew had ovens about the same size, 60cm wide. Here in the states, standard ovens run about 30 inches, or roughly 75cm, that's a big difference. I don't know how home bakers there make the bigger cakes, but I'm sure somewhere there you could find a larger cooker, if you have the room for it. Mine was built in and we rented the home so I couldn't replace mine.

Meg147 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:19am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbymindysue

Having lived in the UK for 6 years and now back in the US, I can tell you I do NOT miss my oven from there! I had to buy all new cookie sheets and casserole dishes to fit into the oven I had in our house, the ones I had were too big. Most of the people that I knew had ovens about the same size, 60cm wide. Here in the states, standard ovens run about 30 inches, or roughly 75cm, that's a big difference. I don't know how home bakers there make the bigger cakes, but I'm sure somewhere there you could find a larger cooker, if you have the room for it. Mine was built in and we rented the home so I couldn't replace mine.

Yeah, that's it - our standard ovens are quite small for baking. 15cm is a massive difference - I assumed you lucky US folk must have huge ovens! We can buy range cookers which usually have 2/3 ovens - unfortunatley I dont have one! Its just that I have a fair few cakes to bake the week before Christmas, and need 8 x 9" rounds & squares - all but one are going to be white sponge, and I have a great mixer to do the hard work but I'm worried I'm going to spend all my time baking them - though I can make a great tasting sponge, I'm not that savvy yet, and I'm worried if I mix all my white sponge mix at once, I wont have equal quantities for each pan. Further tips & advice on storing battered mix (if you can) will be much appreciated. Thanks for all your replies icon_smile.gif

peg818 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:52am
post #9 of 12

do you have any freezer space?

I dont miss my old oven at all, the largest cake i could fit in was a 14in or one 11x15 there was no more room for anything else. When we remodeled our kitchen a few years ago, i got a real stove with a convection oven, although the largest round is still a 14in i can bake on all three racks and it will hole three 12x18's which are what i bake the most of.

But back to the question, what i use is 1/2 pans for anything over that 14in. And i do so sympathize with baking all day to get a cake done cause that is how it used to be for me.

Meg147 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:56am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

I dont miss my old oven at all, the largest cake i could fit in was a 14in or one 11x15 there was no more room for anything else. When we remodeled our kitchen a few years ago, i got a real stove with a convection oven, although the largest round is still a 14in i can bake on all three racks and it will hole three 12x18's which are what i bake the most of.

But back to the question, what i use is 1/2 pans for anything over that 14in. And i do so sympathize with baking all day to get a cake done cause that is how it used to be for me.

Yeah I have freezer space, what do you suggest? I only bake on the top shelf of my oven, to be honest, I've never tried the 2nd shelf (i only have 2!) I always thought that maybe they wouldn't rise well? What do you think? icon_smile.gif

HannahLass Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:58am
post #11 of 12

Hey Meg,
Im in the uk too. I dont trust my oven at all the left hand side burns stuff but the right side is good. If you have space in the freezer you could bake and level then wrap really really well in clingfilm and then in foil and freeze them and when you need em lift them out and sit for an hour or two to thaw. I only bake a cake at a time, I mix the batter fill the lined pan and put it in the oven wander off and go do what I have to do before the first is done i mix the batter for the next and have that ready to go in when the first comes out etc. I bake in deep pans so each one takes about 1.5 hrs for an 8 inch say i bake at a lower temp just for preference 150-160 and always get a moist madeira cake. ( i use lindy smiths madeira recioe from cakes to inspire and desire and everone loves it, I've not found a better one for me) I find that the hour and a half I get between the cakes means I can get done houswork or pop out if I have someone to watch the cake for me. Sigh the plight of us uk bakers lol.

peg818 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:58am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg147

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Yeah I have freezer space, what do you suggest? I only bake on the top shelf of my oven, to be honest, I've never tried the 2nd shelf (i only have 2!) I always thought that maybe they wouldn't rise well? What do you think? icon_smile.gif

well, i would wrap well and freeze the layers, so you aren't driving yourself crazy trying to bake all in one day.

As far as the oven space, i was always taught you don't turn the oven on for one little thing, you fill as much in at one time as possible. Never really thought of baking one cake at a time cause i feel its such a waste of electricity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%