Is It O.k To....

Decorating By bafishr Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 2:18am by bafishr

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 26

attach ribbon on a cake board with hot glue icon_redface.gif ? I'm not sure about the non-edible issue of hot glue. Although, it won't be touching the cake.
Thanks to all of you experienced decorators.

25 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 26

HI there, I use double sided sticky tape to attach the ribbons to the cake board. Never used hot glue.

bafishr Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 26

Thanks, bashini icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 26

I use Tacky glue. Sometimes hot glue goes on kind of thick and lumpy...maybe that's because I'm not good at using it, but I think it might look messy under ribbon.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 26

Pritt stick for me!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 26

I've always pinned mine down. Quick & easy & it's not noticable, unless you sit there and actually try to find them.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

HI there, I use double sided sticky tape to attach the ribbons to the cake board. Never used hot glue.

Ditto.

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 26

What double sided tape are you guys using, cause all the ones that I have found just flat out suck. And double sided tape is not cheap, so thats a reall pi@@er offer for me.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 26

I use hot glue... it's quick to set and you can be ready to go in minutes (since sometimes I forget the ribbon until the last minute). It isn't really that clumpy if you put it on really thin and it shows more under a satin ribbon. Usually I do layers of ribbon though so you can't tell it's under there.

icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:47pm
post #10 of 26

Really? Scotch brand I think....it's a yellow "package", and it is gooood stuff. I make sure the edge of the cake board is completely free of any residual BC or crisco from fondant. That will definitely make it not stick as well.

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:50pm
post #11 of 26

Bella, I don't line the whole edge with it, I put on strips of about 4 inches, leave a gap of about 2 inches, so on and so forth, to conserve it as much as possible. If the ribbon is pulled taut all the way around, it's not going anywhere, even the places where it's not stuck. Yeah, it's pricy. Sometimes, I see packs of two for sale, and I gobble those up. I hate having to buy one dinky little roll. And I did try to get a cheapy brand once, threw it away. It definitely did not work well for me.

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:50pm
post #12 of 26

I think I do have Scotch Brand, but I could be wrong. I will try again. Maybe I'm not taking my time.

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:52pm
post #13 of 26

I know I did try a cheapy brand and it was REAL bad. And definetly will be spacing. Thanks.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:57pm
post #14 of 26

I have used hot glue for the ribbon, no problem. I glue it on before I put the cake on the board. Make sure you get all the little "stringies" off and it should be fine.

icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:19pm
post #15 of 26
Quote:

Never used hot glue.

Why not? (not being snarky, just genuinely puzzled) The area of the board where one is placing ribbon is no where near cake. I'm confused as to why not to use hot glue. I use a white, non-toxic craft glue as recommended by a professional in the field.

edited: Okay. Not enough coffee... Bashini wrote she has never USED hot glue, not NOT to use it. icon_redface.gif Signing off to go perk another pot of very strong coffee. icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:47pm
post #16 of 26

Hot glue is the only thing I have used. I thought about using the pretty "hat pins" but decided against it (too much chance of a small child pulling one off the cake board). I don't have any problems with lumpy spots - works prefectly for me.

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:48pm
post #17 of 26

I use those really small silver pins with the flat heads. You don't see them and once in, they are pretty hard to pull back out.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:56pm
post #18 of 26

I use glue stick, it is non toxic and don't have to worry about all those pesky hot glue strings

Loucinda Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:12pm
post #19 of 26

I tried glue sticks, but they didn't work for me, didn't hold the ribbon. (may have been the brand I used?)

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:14pm
post #20 of 26

Yah, I've never been able to get a glue stick to work for me. Maybe a crappy brand, I dunno.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:20pm
post #21 of 26

I use hot glue, I don't recommend the low heat glue sticks though, those are the ones that set really fast and leave you with lumps. I use the high heat and do a few inches at a time and then attach the ribbon and smooth it and all bumps down before the glue sets.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:22pm
post #22 of 26

non toxic glue sticks for me.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:36pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:

Never used hot glue.

Why not? (not being snarky, just genuinely puzzled) The area of the board where one is placing ribbon is no where near cake. I'm confused as to why not to use hot glue. I use a white, non-toxic craft glue as recommended by a professional in the field.

edited: Okay. Not enough coffee... Bashini wrote she has never USED hot glue, not NOT to use it. icon_redface.gif Signing off to go perk another pot of very strong coffee. icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Win, I thought that sticky tape is much easier. Just stick around the board and peel the paper and stick the ribbon! So easy!! icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:27pm
post #24 of 26

I use all types of decorative pins most of the time--4 to 6 will usually hold the ribbon on even a very large round board.

I have used glue dots that I found in the scrapbooking aisle. They work great. I buy the "permanent" thin ones. Boy, do they grip--it would take a gorilla to pull the ribbon off! They seem to stick to any type of ribbon, too, and are invisible.

Rae

Loucinda Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:32pm
post #25 of 26

Blakescakes - I have a funny story about those glue dots......I used them to adhere cupcakes to the boards on a cupcake tower, I got a call from the venue -they said they would never forget me, they could not get the cupcakes off of the board. icon_redface.gif (I just wanted them to stay put - and had read that those were one way to do it!!) I still have them here, glad to know there is another use for them. thumbs_up.gif

bafishr Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:18am
post #26 of 26

Thanks to all your replys. I was glad to see I can use hot glue, just got home and forgot to get double sided tape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%