Does Confectioners Glaze Stay Sticky When Dry?

Decorating By JustToEatCake Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 1:33am by JustToEatCake

JustToEatCake Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 6

I tried piping gel with alcohol, and although it does give a nice shine it's staying sticky (overnight). Any ideas? Is there any way to steam something without a "steamer"? What sort of steamer is used? Is it one of those clothing steamer thingies?...Thanks for any help.

5 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 6

Confectioner's glaze is not sticky when dry. You can paint fondant with gel color mixed with vodka. That will give it a shine that dries. You can steam gumpaste flowers over a pan of boiling water.

JustToEatCake Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Confectioner's glaze is not sticky when dry. You can paint fondant with gel color mixed with vodka. That will give it a shine that dries. You can steam gumpaste flowers over a pan of boiling water.

Thanks, I did paint it with piping gel and it's dried but it's very sticky/tacky.

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 6

I've never painted it with piping gel, just with the tubs of Wilton gel food colors mixed with vodka. That does dry but can take a while if you have a lot more color than vodka. The Americolor colors seem to dry better.

I know there's a recipe for confectioner's glaze on CC, but the one that I've used is the stinky stuff in the bottle, the kind you have to use glaze thinner to clean off of paintbrushes.

DianeLM Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 6

You may be able to use your iron to steam the cake. Just make sure it has no clogs or mineral deposits that may cause it to spit.

I love confectioners glaze and use it for practically everything. It definitely dries well and makes handling painted pieces (chocolate, fondant, gumpaste, etc.) extremely easy.

And yes, you need the glaze thinner to clean your brush and anything else the glaze gets on. I buy the cheap packs of kids' paint brushes so I can just toss the brush in the trash when I'm done.

JustToEatCake Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:33am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the replies. I am going to look for that recipe to try.If I can't find it or I am not happy with it I'll be ordering some and buying some cheap paint brushes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%